MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-11-2002, 05:19 PM   #1
93blkGTfun
Registered Member

Exclamation My rear end is about to explode!!!!

I am completely baffeled. Someone please help me, I have been working on this for three days, and am completely stumped. I apologize for this being so long. My mods that would be in the effected area include an off road h-pipe and a transmission by Jasper engines.

About two months ago I started to hear a slight rubbing noise under the back of the car. Over time it has gradually increased in frequency and in loudness. It is now to the point that it sounds like nails scraping down a chalk board that is louder than my exhaust at wot.

I thought I had a brake problem, so i checked the shoes and drums. Nothing out of the ordinary. I checked the u joint in the back of the drive shaft, no play no hard spots. So then I took the cover off the diff. The oil was a little blackened but there wasn't a single sliver of metal in it. I did notice that when i turn the back wheels with my hand, about one quarter of a full revolution is harder to turn, than the other 3 quarters.

The car only does this under acceleration if it is coasting, it does not do it. It does not do it in reverse. The kicker is if you jack it up on the rear end and run the car it does not do it at all! The h- pipe does not rub anywere. I am going to class and I'll be back in about 2 hours to answer any questions. My rear end really does sound like its about to explode.
93blkGTfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 09:47 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Sounds to me like your pinion gear is eating into your ring gear under hard acceleration.

If I were you I would take this as an opportunity to install a set of new gears.

3.73's or 4.10's..... You can solve your problem and make your car faster at the same time.

JMO,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 10:04 PM   #3
93blkGTfun
Registered Member

The wierd thing is that it does not have to be under hard acceleration. If I do 20 mph, and just rest my foot on the accelerator, it squeels.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:10 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

If you found metal in your rear end fluid. There is the answer to your question.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:12 PM   #5
93blkGTfun
Registered Member

Their wasn't a single piece of metal in the oil.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:27 PM   #6
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

You are going to have to go through the process of elimination.

Since it makes no noise with the rear jacked up and the tires turning it might be a bearing, cause when the weight is lifted off of the rear there is less friction on the bearings so they would make less noise if they were the culprit.

If I were you that is where I would start.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:42 PM   #7
93blkGTfun
Registered Member

Thats the direction that i am leaning twards. I'm let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:51 PM   #8
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Good Luck,
Old 09-13-2002, 12:55 AM   #9
93blkGTfun
Registered Member

I pulled out the axels tonight and they look okay, as do the wheel bearings and seals. Just to make sure i'm gonna take the axels to my mechanic tomorrow to let him look at them, just to be on the safe side. Saturday morning i'll be able to inspect the carrier barings.

Should their be oil coming in from the diff, leaking into the rest of the axle housing? There was a fair amount of gear oil in both tubes. Don't know if this is normal maby one of you guys do.