MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-23-2001, 08:04 AM   #1
1989_351W
Registered Member

Thumbs down My status....Back to the drawing board!

Well I finally dropped my 351 into my stang this weekend and ended up pulling it out twice already. The first time I had the engine bolted up up to the trans and went to turn the crank to bolt up the rest of the trans bolts and couldn't turn the crank. I pulled it out unbolted the oil pan and found nothing. I put it all back together, I could turn the crank this time, and dropped it in. Got it all bolted together. I installed the starter and cranked it to build oil pressure, didn't happen. Oh yeah, I burnt up my starter too! Took out the dist and couldn't see the oil pump drive shaft. Ripped the engine out again tore it appart and found that some how the shaft fell, or I missplaced it, and was hitting the crank. Well I guess when I was trying to turn it over the first time I bent the shaft and broke the oil pump.
Now I have to go buy a new oil pump and do it all over again.
Just thought I could vent my frustrations to some guys who know what I am talking about, my wife has no clue!
The car it getting to be a pain in my @$$!

------------------
Michael Wigton
1989 351 Windsor
1964 1/2 Convertible
1989_351W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 09:00 AM   #2
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

I went through all sorts of problems when building and installing my motor. First the crank wouldnt fit. Then I had to have the bottom of the cylinder walls but. Then my starter locked up. Then my buddy stole my mass air meter and air filter. Theres always going to be problems!
After I had it installed I had a horrible flooding problem, then heating problems, now I have blew out most of my accessories!

Good luck on getting it running!

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC and Smog del, rear seat del.

[This message has been edited by Smokedawg (edited 07-23-2001).]
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 06:25 PM   #3
juiceman
Registered Member

sorry to hear about the problems. take your time and work slow. if you think youre finally done, check it again. what i like to do is make a list of everything that needs to be done on the car or every part in and on the motor. as you read the list check each part well. if you think something doesnt look right or make sense chances are its wrong. hope you get it running good. dont give up.
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 11:32 PM   #4
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Yeah I know what you mean! got my first motor together and had it running to weeks, was adjusting the clutch and on one test run a valve retainer decided to go south at about 4,000 rpm!

needless to say I need a new cylinder head, piston, connecting rod, and block!

But hey, in a few more weeks, the mighty 347 will be finished heres hoping for 475 crankshaft hp (or more) and about 3100 pounds of race weight! If I abuse the new combo I'm hoping to slip into the 10.99 area?

Course the disturbing thing is, my car will be only good for bracket racing well at least in the context to real street and hot street (illegal in the first, not comptetitive enough in the second) racing.

This is the combo at this point

4.040" bore
3.400" stroke
5.400" rod
11:1 comp (gotta check to be sure)

75mm Edelbrock T-body
Victor 5.0 EFI manifold
AFR 185cc cylinder heads
NX282HR Nitrous HP hydraulic roller
1-3/4 long tubes
30# injectors
SVO Extender/auto computer
MSD Coil, Distributor, 6A ignition
DrGas X-pipe
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 12:00 AM   #5
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Hey fellow Windsor dude, that sucks. When I built my motor, the thing that took me the most time was finding crap. Finding the right flywheel, the right bolts, things not lining up, etc. Took a little over a month to complete it, but by taking that much time (even though I had to get rides from all my friends and family for that month ), I was able to do it right the first time. Not trying to brag or give you a hard time, just saying that I know how frustrating it can be especially if it's your only car. The thing is though that if you take your time, it can SAVE you much time in the future.

Well, whatever the reason for the problems, stick with it. It'll be worth it.
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 12:11 AM   #6
429AL
Registered Member

Talking

Work smarter not faster it saves time in the long run. and dont use the starter to turn over the motor to get oil pressure, (on a new motor) go get a junk distributor and remove the gear and use a drill to turn it. good luck.
429AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 07:31 AM   #7
1989_351W
Registered Member

Thanks guys!
I'm going to buy the oil pump tonight and start working on it.
Luckly I've learn that once things get frustrating its best to just stop and try again another day.
It's a great idea about the old dist and using it to prime the oil pump, i'll have to do that, THANKS!
I'll keep everyone informed on my status.

------------------
Michael Wigton
1989 351 Windsor
1964 1/2 Convertible
1989_351W is offline   Reply With Quote