MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-25-2001, 09:05 AM   #1
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Angry Mysterious oil leak, I NEED HELP!!! Rick, Exgm, Sky, Unit....ANYBODY!!!!

OK, I have a bad oil leak. I already changed my intake gaskets, but may have not got them sealed good. Changed my valve cover gaskets, siliconed my pcv in place, changed my front and rear seals, AND STILL HAVE A LEAK at the front, and rear of the motor. There is also a shiznit load of oil on the back of my car after I drive it. What is it?? I think my Timing Chain Cover gasket needs to be changes, but that doesn't stop the rear leak.....any ideas??

Thanks guys.

------------------
Dustin
89 Saleen GT Sport,428 rwhp,TFS Street Heat Intake,TFS TW Heads,TFS #2 cam,BD-11A 9 psi,Crane 1.6 rr's,BBK 70mm TB,Pro-M 80mm MAF,MSD 6BTM, FMS 9mm wires,BBK longtubes,BBK Short H-pipe,American Thunder cat back,3.55's

12.3@119

http://www.mustangworks.com/rides/pictures/Listing1549-slot1.jpg
SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 09:22 AM   #2
LincoConti87
Registered Member

Red face

Well you didn't mention changing head gaskets.
LincoConti87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 09:32 AM   #3
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Wouldn't I have more problems than that with blown head gaskets? I have excellend oil pressure, no smoke(except from the oil) no bubbles in the water, excellent power, and as far as I can tell, no leakage around them. But you never know.

------------------
Dustin
89 Saleen GT Sport,428 rwhp,TFS Street Heat Intake,TFS TW Heads,TFS #2 cam,BD-11A 9 psi,Crane 1.6 rr's,BBK 70mm TB,Pro-M 80mm MAF,MSD 6BTM, FMS 9mm wires,BBK longtubes,BBK Short H-pipe,American Thunder cat back,3.55's

12.3@119

Old 07-25-2001, 10:44 AM   #4
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

I had a very similar leak that i couldn't find. After replacing all but the main seals it was still there. I crawled under and just staired at the motor for a while. Then i just decided to tighten up the oil pan bolts and that stopped the leak. It was just a lucky guess. Light Em Up!!

------------------
My 87 GT....Marbles
AIM: Marbles87Fox
Light Em Up!!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 11:21 AM   #5
Blue Beast
Registered Member

Wink

My best guess would be to change your oil pan gasket....that's what it sounds like.
Blue Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 12:07 PM   #6
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Check also your oil pressure sending unit... mine started leaking big time and it took forever to find it! Just a thought! Good luck!

------------------
Joe! 1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.58@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:www.joe4speed.com
99 Ninja ZX-6R:10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS 16.40@88.8mph
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 12:53 PM   #7
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

It only leaks when your driving? You can't park it for a day or two and see where its coming from?

Sounds like underneath if its going all the way back to the back of your car.

My breather cap shoots out oil under hard racing and it hits the headers and smokes. If you have boost that might be worse.

I agree check the oil pressure sending unit.

Its really hard to know, just going to have to find out where the hell the leaks comeing from.

CLean everything up, so you can see the slightest oil. Then park it and see where it drips.

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS TW Heads, E-303, Edelbrock intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 24lb injectors, 1 5/8 shorties, Off Road H, 3 Chamber flows, Jaz Race seats, Back seat removed, sub-frames, Roll Cage, and a 80 shot of N20.
12.54@107.4 Motor
1.69 60'
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 12:59 PM   #8
TM88GT
Registered Member

Does your 89 have a "Low Oil" light? If so, the rear leak could be coming from that sending unit. It's located on the passenger side of the oil pan near the rear drain plug. Check it out.

------------------
TM88GT
TM88GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 02:23 PM   #9
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

Talking

Dustin I feel your pain, I also have a annoying oil leak somewhere I have narrowed it down to the pan :mad or the rear seal. SO when I have the tranny and all out next week for the clutch swap I'll find out what it is. I fear it is the rear of the oil pan... but with the clutch I hope to finally rip off some 11 sec passes. I won the local shoot out last Sunday with the clutch slipping it's *** off, I really don't see how I won I had terrible 60ft's but I made up for it after the 1/8 where the HP came out and I pulled everyone. Still was able to go 12.4 on a 2.2 60ft.

Well it could be leaking in the front at the timing cover and blowing back all over the motor making you think it is leaking from both ends. But wipe it all clean then start the car, hit the throttle a little bit while under the hood and see if you see it coming from anywhere. Good Luck

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon! FIRST TIME OUT 12.16@111 WHEELS-UP
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 04:42 PM   #10
exgmguy
Registered Member

It is leaking in the front and the back? Is there any oil puddling near the base of the distributor/top of the timing chain cover? Get a look at the rear of the intake with a flashlight right after driving it. The fresh oil leaking will be glossy and not all dried out and blended in. My car is also leaking. DAMN FORDS!!!! j/k. It is coming from my intake. I have put intakes on a million times, but this time it leaked. If you used a bead of silicone on the end rails rather than the seals you probably smeared it while trying to weasel the intake back on. Especially if you left the distributor in.

Let us know.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 05:07 PM   #11
429AL
Registered Member

you did what to your pvc valve, is it still in workable condition, (its not plugged)if not sounds like front and rear intake end seals to me.

------------------
Stock 89 GT with 147000 miles,but not for long. Now with 3.73`s, soon 306 from 85 install.
429AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 08:25 PM   #12
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Lightbulb

I'd also have to say the front and rear lower intake manifold gaskets are suspect. The replacements I've seen are of the 4 piece variety, and they can be a PITA to get right.

If you were leaking from the PVC, the oil pressure sending unit, or the valve covers, you'd probably have smoke burning off the exhaust.

The oil pan gasket is on the front and the back of the engine, obviously, but the oil should never travel upwards. If it's getting thrown around by the belt, or something like that, you can eliminate the oil pan.

The timing case cover won't affect the back of the oil pan, but it will let oil get thrown all over the place in the engine compartment. Look for oil under the hood, spray pattern should line up with the belt.

The head gasket can also technically cause it, but I can't believe it would be leaking at the back and the front.

Are you sure you are losing oil? Could it be power steering fluid? That can throw the fluid all over the front as well.

Finally, the front and rear main seals can leak again after replacement due to the groove they wear into the crankshaft and the front can cause oil to spray around sometimes. They are far more apt to show leakage after the engine is off though.

Later,

Unit 5302

Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 11:06 AM   #13
PKRWUD

Just clean it and observe. It's not brain surgery. Fresh oil usually leaves a clean path right to it, and tranny fluid will leave everything near the leak looking polished. On the Sprint car I work on, we have small holes drilled every inch along the block where the end seals go. We drill corresponding holes in the end seals, and install them with roll pins. Works perfect every time.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 06:48 PM   #14
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

exgmguy

You hit the nail on the head, I guess that is what it is....it never leaked before I changed gaskets about a week ago. My seals, oil pressure sending unit were all bad too, so I thouight that was what it was.

Thanks guys for all the opinions, they are all helpful.

------------------
Dustin

12.3@119

Old 07-27-2001, 04:26 PM   #15
exgmguy
Registered Member

Cool, Do I get a prize??!!!??

I fixed mine yesterday. Those 10 or 15 little droplets of oil are BYE BYE!!!!
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote