MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-25-2001, 10:32 AM   #1
D&R Stang

Post need education on smog test ASAP.....help!!

I recently got stationed in California and when I bought my stang I had no intention of moving to Cali, it had no smog equipment on it. I know I need a smog pump and I guess that little "air" box that goes down in front of the motor on the passenger side. What does that box do anyway? What else do I need? I've been here in Cali for about three months and I will only be here for less than a year before getting out of the military and moving back East. I was going to just wing it and get by without getting caught, but the rules here on the base I'm at just recently changed a week ago and I know I'm going to get busted if I don't fix this dilema very soon! I don't have tailpipes either. Do I have to get some? I have a set of hi flow cats, but I have to put them on the car, other than that I don't have any parts for smog. Am I missing anything, or is the pump and the cats all I should be worried about? I know that I have to get "Carb" stickers for my MSD and Coil. Should I change my oil right before I go get smogged or about a week before? What about my cam? Will that effect it? Please read my sig and tell me if anything else catches your eye and any and all pointers will be greatly appreciated. Obviously I've never had to deal with smog before.
Thanks in advance,
Dave

------------------
Dave & Robin 88 GT, T5
306, polished crank, Speed Pro Powerforged pistons, ARP rod bolts, underdrive pulleys, cold air induction, 73mm MAF, Xtreme Energy Cam, 3.73's, 1 5/8 unequal length headers, Offroad H-pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, turn-downs, King Cobra Clutch, Steeda adjustable clutch cable with firewall adjuster

[This message has been edited by D&R Stang (edited 07-25-2001).]
Old 07-25-2001, 11:00 AM   #2
dinomite
The Dude

you want to change your oil just before you go, but if you do it a few days before, don't worry. most states require that exhause exit out from under the car, so you will need taipipes. those high flows will work, and you will need the air pumpfor them to work. a cam will affect your emmissions, but i know nothing about the cam you have. do you have a pcv valve or breather cap? you need to have a pcv.

------------------
90LX AOD Convertable: Lakewood control arms, FMS springs.
Best 1/4: 15.277@92.25 (2.27 60')
AIM: dinomite1, roadracestang
dinomite@softhome.net
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 11:19 AM   #3
D&R Stang

Thanks Dinomite, I have the cam specs at home, but I'm at work right now. I have another question for you. How is VA doing it's smog now? Is it every year, every other year? The reason I'm asking, is I'm originally from Lynchburg VA and that's where I plan on returning to after I leave the Service.
Old 07-25-2001, 12:41 PM   #4
AU Stang
Registered Member

If you are military, which I am assuming you are b/c you said you were "stationed" in California...you don't have to pass their emmissions tests. You only have to pass the state's tests for where the car is tagged. My dad was in the USAF for 28 years and we NEVER emission tested any of our vehicles.
AU Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 12:50 PM   #5
D&R Stang

AU, that is correct in most places, unfortunately California doesn't see it that way. My car is registered in Arizona, however to get a sticker to come on base here in Cali, I have to have a smog inspection sticker. Military or not. I know it sounds messed up, and I think that it is, but there's nothing that can be done. Apparently that was the agreement between the state of California and the Marine Corps. The state let us have a base here, but under their conditions. One of these conditions was smog on all vehicles regardless of where the vehicle is registered or where the Marine is originally from.

------------------
Dave & Robin 88 GT, T5
306, polished crank, Speed Pro Powerforged pistons, ARP rod bolts, underdrive pulleys, cold air induction, 73mm MAF, Xtreme Energy Cam, 3.73's, 1 5/8 unequal length headers, Offroad H-pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, turn-downs, King Cobra Clutch, Steeda adjustable clutch cable with firewall adjuster