MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2002, 06:08 PM   #1
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Default Need Help Bad! Mechanic cant find problem!

Hey guys, my dad took my car to the mechanic yesterday and they looked at the car for 7 hours and couldnt find what was wrong. If you didnt see my post from last week, the car started acting up a little at idle at first. This was around a month ago. After only missing and surging a little bit at an idle, the car began to stall out at idle, and also cut out for a spilt second and stutter while cruising at low rpms. Now the damn thing runs ok while cold, but once it heats up it hardly runs. It surges like crazy at an idle, constantly misses and hesitates at cruising speed, and sometimes kicks in and goes and sometimes when i punch it it hesitates, revs to like 3 grand and even backfires sometimes. WTF! This is really pissing me off considering im in school 200 miles away and rush home every weekend to figure this crap out. So far i have checked the egr, checked for any vacuum leaks, and someone even told me it might be the tps, so i even went out and replaced and volt-tested it. I even went further and replaced the cap and rotor and all the plug wires. No difference after any of this. Another thing that is interesting is when the car first acted up at all, I was driving in the rain. I find it hard to believe this is just a coincidence, but it may be. Have you guys ever heard of anthing like this before? The mechanic also said that it must be a problem with the computer. He said the options I have are to either get a new comp. and harness or switch to carb. What's up with that? Im really pissed. If you guys can help me out at all, either by giving me some input, or slipping some dynamite in the car late at night, I would really appreciate it. Thanks Alot, John
Old 02-27-2002, 07:21 PM   #2
Mustang_289
Registered Member

We just had a simalar problem with our 88GT,, when it warmed up sometimes it really ran like crap, wouldn't idle, stall out sometimes backfire, missing.. This drove us crazy. Took it to a Mustang shop here and it took them sometime to figure it out. What they found was the distributor module (think that's what it's called) was shorting out when the engine warmed up causing all kinds of these problems. Once the module was replaced - haven't had a problem since.
Mustang_289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 07:26 PM   #3
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Are you referring to the tfi module that mounts to the side of the distributor? I had onre laying around my house amd swapped that one in, but the car still did the same crap. I dont know if the one i a swapped in was bad also or not, but thatnks for the help anyway, maybe ill try to get one off a friends car and see if that on works. Thanks again - John
Old 02-27-2002, 07:39 PM   #4
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Yo,

If you all are talking about TFI modules (which pulg into the distributor) then you are all having the same problem. The reason for this is becuase Ford has RECALLED ALL OUR CARS!! The other day I received the form in the mail. Basically, what happened is that the TFI modules failed under heat and cause some peoples cars to straight up die while driving and in traffic. Lot's of injuries and I belive even deaths. The claim is being made againast Ford by MILLIONS of people. This wasn't just a Stang problem...it ranged from Aerostars & Taurses to Lynx's.

You CAN get reimbursed for this and I suggest calling your nearest Ford dealer (know...this isn't a commercial) and tell them to set up an appointment to get this fixed. The document I received had to come from the Ford dealer (when I "got" my sticker last summer) knowing my info then because I bought my car without an engine or tranny. Either way, call them and good luck. I'll try to find the remainder of the claim form but I think I threw it away.

Good luck!
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 07:40 PM   #5
PKRWUD

A bad TFI module usually results in a no start condition when warm. It sounds alot like a bad MAP sensor, but you're engine is MAF. Have you tried pulling codes? That would help alot.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 07:48 PM   #6
Mustang_289
Registered Member

TFI module it is,,, when the car got warm and was missin and spittin.. Finally wouldn't start.. Let the car sit for a while and it would start and run just fine. I would suggest getting a new one they're not expensive.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:56 PM   #7
chatcher
Registered Member

i got my recall form for the tfi the other day i have not got the chane to take it in yet to have it looked at to see if it has been replaced yet or not (2nd owner) i have not had any probs myself but if i was you i wsould take you car to a ford dealer and have your tfi module replaced it may solve your prob and ford will pay for in my opinion its worth a shotb
Old 02-27-2002, 08:14 PM   #8
juiceman
Registered Member

tfi modules have been known to do that and since its a recall on all fords it cant hurt to take it in for a check up at your local dealer. it is free. unless they try to get over on you. however, dont forget about the simple mechanical stuff. the fuel pump can also do that. have you checked that? have you changed the fuel filter? always start with basics. dont assume that just because you have fuel pressure its ok. you also need volume.
juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 08:35 PM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I'd have to agree with juiceman. The fuel pump seems a little suspect to me as well. As far as the MAP/BAP sensor, they act when the car is cold as well. If it was faulty, it would probably show up right away. EGR is the same way. Cold/hot, doesn't matter. The O2 sensors may be causing some problems, but it would have to be really bad to have the car stall out.

Something else to note, the MAP/BAP, O2, EGR, all those will pretty much be negated when the car is floored. Almost all the emissions equipment goes off line. The fuel pump obviously doesn't.

I would bet on fuel pump, or an ignition problem.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 12:08 AM   #10
chris91LX
Registered Member

Just a thought, but have you checked your timing? When I put new heads, cam intake etc. on my car a month ago and first started it up i had the same problem and it turned out the timing was way retarded. Like I said it's just a thought, hadn't noticed anyone mention it and it's easy to check.
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 12:17 AM   #11
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Hey thanks for the replies guys. I have changed the fuel filter and it didnt fix anything. I am going back home tomorrow and ill definitely check the fuel pump. Also I have all my smog crap removed and my o2 sensors are not even hooked up, the harness is not long enough to reach where the senso mounts on my longtubes. It may be possible my timing is off, I havent messed with it ever. But would the car run fine sometimes and not others if the timing is off? Thanks for all the help - John
Old 02-28-2002, 12:20 AM   #12
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Oh I forgot to mention one thing regarding the o2 sensors. When i put the headers on and noticed that i couldnt connect them, the guy who helped me install them said it would be ok just to secure the unused harnesses under the car. Is it possible that water may have gotten to them and caused something to go screwy in the comp.? Just a thought. -John
Old 02-28-2002, 12:33 AM   #13
PKRWUD

I completely disagree with the idea of leaving your O2 sensors disconnected, but to answer your question, yes, if the wires became shorted, there would be a problem. It works something like this; The wire that sends a signal to the ECM could become shorted to ground, either directly or via the ground wire in the harness. This would send a signal to the ECM of greater than 1.0 vdc, which would cause the ECM to go into self test mode. The MIL would flash, and the engine would either stall, or drive poorly. If you insist on leaving the O2 sensors disconnected, you need to make sure that the wiring harness that went to them is wrapped and protected from anything that could cause a short to ground.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 02-28-2002, 04:26 AM   #14
Casper5.0
Registered Member

I'd hook up the O2 sensors first off and see if that helps it out, it really should, i don't see anyway your car could idle or run without them connected. It wouldn't affect WOT operation however so there could be another problem as well, fuel pump, tfi, etc.....good luck figuring it out.

RYAN
94 cobra, steeda tri-ax, bbk longtubes, dr. gas x pipe, eec tuner, ultra flo's, 65 mm tb, underdrives, 75 mm MAF, homemade CAI, steeda #19 cam, Steeda LCA's, 3.73's, subframes

13.7 @ 103.03 before cam and gears
Casper5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 07:45 AM   #15
Mustang_289
Registered Member

Man I would suggest take the easy road first - get the TFI module recall done at Ford first... I think you're going to find that's the problem. We did the routine of replacing the fuel filter and other process of eliminations.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:47 AM   #16
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

I didnt want to leave the o2 sensors disconnected, but the wires dont reach to hook up, the sensors mount on the longtubes further back then they mount on the stock headers. I have had them like that for over 2 months now and all of a sudden it started acting up. Also, I did already replace the tfi with one I had laying around. That one could have been bad too, I dont know. I bought some parts a while ago from a friend and he threw a bunch of other stuf my way, including one of those. It was used, so it could be bad. Thanks - John
Old 02-28-2002, 01:16 PM   #17
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

just out of curiousity, how many miles on the motor? or better yet, how many miles on the timing chain and gear?? this sounds like a problem i had with my old cougar, result was a warn timing chain and gear.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 01:32 PM   #18
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Maybe this can be helpful...when I was building my car I read an article on a swap in an older mustang to a EFI 302. Obviously they needed to hook up a computer and the article stated that of all the sensors you could ignore, the O2 sensors aren't one of them. I thimk they said you can even skip the PCV but i do remember them saying you have to install the O2 sensors and the MAF. I agree with Chris in that you need to have some O2 sensors if the car is on the street. But the TFI mod is a possibility and it's free so there's no excuse to have it checked. Keep trying. You'll get it.
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 01:43 PM   #19
speedytang
Registered Member

If a mechanic looked at the car he would have noticed the errors for o2 sensors and the car would not run correct when started that is why they must be pre-heats the car would run like crap at low and cold rpms but run great at high and warm rpms. If I was to guess without even looking at it I would say you have a timed vacuum switch gone bad leaking at warm up and the one that is bad is one that is closed at cold start up. That would lead to the idle circuit and the EGR circuits.
speedytang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 02:02 PM   #20
PKRWUD

Do you have any cats in your exhaust? The more I read your first post, the more it sounds like a restricted exhaust. Running without the O2 sensors hooked up will keep the ECM in open loop, which means running rich. Running rich will clog up cats, if you have any. Do you have a vacuum gauge you can use?
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!