MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-14-2001, 01:49 PM   #1
joakim

Post need help with gearinstall!!

3:55! Just got the shimskit. I belive that the shims should be on each side of the diff outside of the 2 bolts on each side. But today its only a big "shims" on each side there. It looks like my shims should be on each side of the bearings. Need some pics to understund...anyone have pics or a link to help me.....

------------------
GT -87, *Hurst shifter,
*Mac shorty 1 5/8, *H-pipes, *3,55 FM gear, This
14,61 and 95,59mph
*the 1/4 times is before this mods.
If you like longdistance racing look at <A HREF="http://www.slc.se

Old 04-15-2001, 07:51 AM   #2
go4it
Registered Member

http://www.corral.net/tech/

------------------
93GT, S-trim, Stage 2 TFS TW heads, Stage 2 Cobra intake, AFM powerpipe, PRO-M 75mm massair, 75mm throttle body, 30lb.inj. 1 5/8 headers, 2 1/2 h-pipe and exhaust, 2 chamber Flowmasters, 3.55 gears, Ultradyne cam, Elder.timing gears, Black Magic fan, 3 row alum.rad. MSD6al/BTM, MSD coil, MSD shift light, subframe connectors, A-pillar gauges, Pro-5.0 shifter.
go4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 03:20 PM   #3
jchambers

Shims go on the outside of the bearing race; between the race and the end of the axle tube. You need to shim the carrier so that you've got the required backlash in the gears (usually etched on the side of the ring gear). Measure the backlash with the bearings lightly loaded, in other words with the shims so that the last shim goes in light resistence. After you've gotten the proper shimming to achieve the backlash, add 0.006" to each side to obtain proper bearing preload.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #3
11.86 Seconds/113.8 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Old 04-15-2001, 03:41 PM   #4
joakim

Thank you! but imgoingcrazyaboutthis... On wednesday I will leave the hole axle to a expert. The shims I got is smaller and it looks like it should sit on the diff, inside of the bearings. On left and right side of the diff and the two bolts on each side. There I have one shims or what it is around 3-4mm. I tought this was the place to shims the diff...

------------------
GT -87, *Hurst shifter,
*Mac shorty 1 5/8, *H-pipes, *3,55 FM gear, This
14,61 and 95,59mph
*the 1/4 times is before this mods.
If you like longdistance racing look at <A HREF="http://www.slc.se