MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-06-1999, 06:02 PM   #1
BLU88STANG
Registered Member

Post carb fuel system

I posted this on the late model board and got no response so I decided to try here.

I am converting to carb because of the convenience of an engine fire and am looking for opinions on what to include for the fuel system. I will be running approximately 300rwhp and a 200-250 shot. I would like to have one pump and not have to sump the tank. What size lines should I run? What fuel pump and regulator? WHat is the advantage of using braided line over allumnum lines?

------------------
13.22 at 107 on radials, stock cam and t/b
BLU88STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-1999, 02:36 AM   #2
Ron1
Registered Member

I would consider the BG280, or maybe two pumps like the Holley Black. One on the NA side, and one on the NOS side, with a return line to the tank. Set it up, so when you arm the NOS system, it also turns on the second pump(single arming switch). The reason for the return line is when you deadhead into a pressure regulator, the pressure will begin to build, and when you launch, it will drop drastically, which could make it go lean. Use BG regulators. Since the NOS solenoids and the pumps draw an enourmous amount of power, I would also suggest a Jacobs Accuvolt, and wire those to your MSD, solenoids and pump or pumps. It will supply constant voltage and current, so you will run more consistant. Last but not least, install a purge system for the NOS. (and I will probably think of something else) All Aeroquip lines..10AN tank to pump, 8An pump to regulators, 8AN to carb, or if a Holley, split into 2 6AN's.

Ron

[This message has been edited by Ron1 (edited 12-11-1999).]
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-1999, 02:54 AM   #3
BLU88STANG
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Thanks for the info. I have been posting all over trying to get all the opinions I can on this subject. What do you think about the folowing setup:

paxton super comp 380 pump
some type of pickup (or must it be sumped?)
10an to pump and to paxton 3 port regulator
8an to paxton y block to double pumper
6an return lines

Thanks for any input.

Paul

Old 12-11-1999, 01:57 PM   #4
Ron1
Registered Member

Looks like a good setup. It does not require a sump, but as long as the pump location is as low as you can possible go, you should be OK. As I am sure you know that these pumps will push, but will not pull, so gravity is important. Also on your return line, at the coupling it is jetted the same as the jet in the fuel solenoid side on the NOS. This was suggested by Nitrous Express, so it won't dump all the fuel back to the tank, because that is the path of least resistance, because of the line size.

Ron
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-1999, 03:10 PM   #5
BLU88STANG
Registered Member

I dont' understand exactly what you are talking about for the return thing. Could you explain it a little more detailed? I forgot to add that I will be using a paxton filter too. Where woudl be a good place to mount the pump and what pickup would you recommend? I was jsut theing the back of the tank ant the lowest position I could get ti too, but I havnet' messed wtih fuel systems as of yet besides repalcing a damn fuel filter. I am apt though, have done everything to my motor besides a rebuild.
Thanks a lot.