MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-11-2001, 10:30 PM   #1
JP85gt
Registered Member

Unhappy Need help quick guys cmon just once.

Ok i need to know i have long tubes offroad Hpipe 2 chamber flows 24 pound inj E cam bigger mass air bigger throt body. If i unplug an injector use alc in the gas and wrap 2 heat shields from real cats around the hpipe in the same place they are on BBK's high flow and run the smog pump with the hose going fake into the breather tube to the fake cats on the Hpipe can the car possibly pass the vet if all LOOKS to be like it should be IE smog pump, real looking high flow cats that looked like there hooked to the smog pump ect ect. Really need to know this guys sorry for the grammer im in a big hurry. God speed.
JP85gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 10:46 PM   #2
DaveR_GT
Registered Member

what is the question?

------------------
'92 GT conv.
TFS heads, GT40, Powerdyne 9#, AOD, 3.73...
DaveR_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 10:58 PM   #3
mellow yellow
Registered Member

Unhappy

Really we dont need to breathe your smog.
mellow yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 11:24 PM   #4
JP85gt
Registered Member

Cool

I realize im offending some of you with this post because some of you hug trees but if it passes what does it matter if it has real cats on it or not? Now the question in need is if i dummy all of that and make it all look real JUST like it should will it pass the mirrior and under the hood test. Il have the smog pump and the hpipe will look JUST like its the high flow from BBK. God speed.I spent 2 days putting this exhaust system on it and if i can make it pass without replacing the actual exhaust im going to do it the vet is a big crock anyway.
Old 04-11-2001, 11:37 PM   #5
mellow yellow
Registered Member

I suppose if you made it look the same as the "smog legal" versions it could pass the visual BUT the cats (stock or high flow) serve a propose other than scrapping speed bumps as mine do on occasion. Read this : Catalytic Converter, device incorporated into the exhaust system of an automobile that reduces the amount of pollutants in the automobile's exhaust gases. A catalytic converter contains small beads that are coated with metals, such as palladium and platinum. When exhaust gases pass through the catalytic converter, these metals act as catalysts, encouraging chemical reactions that change pollutants, such as carbon monoxide and certain hydrocarbons, into less harmful carbon dioxide and water (see Catalysis).
I know here in California our sniffer tests for these specific pollutants and depending on your car the cats could help you pass or not matter at all.

My question to you is could you get into trouble legally for trying to fake it if you were caught??
mellow yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 12:08 AM   #6
JP85gt
Registered Member

No i have known 6 guys to do this and have talked to people online that has also done it. I just wanted someone that was in the know to tell me if im ok. Im sure if the idiots got down under there and pryd them off they could see it was fake but i have never heard of that. I know i dont have 360 to spend on a special H-pipe right now and im not pulling those long tubes off it takes a day to get them on.They have the lean in my dads name thats why i cant reg it a county over =no vet testing. It really sucks because if we can transfer it all i have to do is reg it in the next county and i dont have to screw with the blood suckers.
Old 04-12-2001, 08:42 AM   #7
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Mellow Yellow,

I think we all know what a catalytic converter does. My question is have you ever taken a look inside a Fox-body catalytic converter? Their aint no beads in there. All it is is a honeycomb of asbestos with a wire mesh surround that super heats as exhaust flows through it. Half the time the cats are clogged up on older cars and not doing their job to begin with.

JP85gt,

If it looks real enough, they may go ahead and ok the visual. However, if your car sounds beasty, they may get a little bit suspicious. Just hope they don't decide to crawl under and take a closer look. If they give you a hard time, just say that the heat sheilds were added for cosmetic purposes for a car show or some crap like that.

--nathan

------------------
--silver_pilate

'91 GT, Built 306, Wolverine 1087 cam, ported Windsor Jr. Irons, and all the goodies...click the link to the left to see a full list of my mods...

Tried and True 302 Being Built to Outrun You! heh heh heh...
--Texas Panhandle--
Check out my site
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 11:19 AM   #8
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

back when i had my '72 ranchero with 302 me and my dad did the headgaskets on it and then tuned the carb and when we took it to get tested it surpased '97 emmisions standards..the guy looked at my dad like "what the hell did you do to this thing"

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
AIM=onesillynotch
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 04:23 PM   #9
Mach 1
Registered Member

Are u sure their even doing a visual? If it passes the sniffer, all should be well. Dont worry about the visual, as long as it passes the sniffer, maybe they will cut you some slack.

As far as wrapping fake heat shields around your off-road h-pipe...lmao..are you losing it? Any mechanic with 1/8 of one brain cell is going to notice this and probably fail you just for being stupid and questioning his intelligence. If you know people who did this and it worked, its because they didnt look, not because they thought the fake heat sheids were real. What are u talking about a mirror? They do put the car on a lift to inspect it, right?
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 05:52 PM   #10
JP85gt
Registered Member

Lightbulb

No they use a mirrior and take a quick look and then thats it. I found a way around it i wont need to passify the crooks. God speed guys thanks for the help anyhow.
Old 04-12-2001, 07:09 PM   #11
95Convert
Registered Member

Okay, here's the deal. I used to be a regional manager with Enviortest, the company which is contracted by several states to do the emissions testing. Here in TN, this consists of a visual test using a mirror to verify that the car does have converters on it, and another test to be sure they have not opened the gas inlet and put leaded gas in at some point in the past. There is not real inspection of the engine, drivetrain, etc. as there is in some states. I assume the same is true in KY. I will tell you the 302 with minor mods will pass the emissions portion (CO and HC) with or without cats. However, unless the guy checking the car is a complete idiot, they will be able to tell if you have an actual converter, or just a shell (heatshield). If you can weld something on the pipe that actully LOOKS like a functioning converter, you will pass the visual test in most cases. My '86 had gutted converters on it and passed every year, both the visual and emmissions. And no, I don't feel bad about it. These tests are to weed out the GROSS polluters. If the car can pass without the converters, it's as good as keeping them on. Just my .02 cents. Take it or leave it.
95Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 07:46 PM   #12
JP85gt
Registered Member

I agree with you but its pretty stupid to demand cats be on there unless the car wont pass wouldnt you agree? God speed.
Old 04-12-2001, 07:49 PM   #13
HKstang
Registered Member

Your car passed with no cats? What are the limits on HC and CO there? I thought my car would definitely fail with no cats.

HKstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 08:50 PM   #14
95Convert
Registered Member

The limits are 220 ppm HC and 1.2 CO content. I usually read between 25-30 ppm and right around 0 on the CO.

As for making sense, no. But since when does the government worry about common sense when passing a law? I will have more sympathy if they ever do anything about all the diesel trucks pouring that trash into the air. That's not going to happen, 'cause the industry wouldn't bow down to it like the joe civilian population does.

Like anything else the govt. does, it all boils down to how much money it will make/cost.
95Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 09:41 PM   #15
JP85gt
Registered Member

Cool

Mustang owners are smart.
Old 04-12-2001, 09:47 PM   #16
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Solution:

Move to FL... They just got rid of emissions testing and never did a full car inspection!
When we had it, I would run off roads all year and when emissions came around, I would just bolt the old cats on... (pain in the *** ) But works

------------------
Joe!
1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.71@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:
www.joe4speed.com
1999 Ninja ZX-6R 10.32@135mph!
"What was the best thing before sliced bread?"

joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote