MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-11-2003, 07:35 PM   #1
lovinspeed01
Registered Member

Default Need Help Quick (Oil Pressure)

I know this question has been asked before, but when it comes to my car I am very protective and would like advice directly.

My problem is lately I have been watching my oil pressure gauge and when my car is idling it sits at about the letter "a" in normal. When I slowly give it gas it slowly rises. At highway speeds (about 70Mph) it sits at the "r" to "m" in normal. My question is, is the idle oil pressure to low? Does any one know what pressure it is at when it reads "a" in normal? Should I be worried at all?

P.S. Car has not been driven that hard at all and I am almost 95% sure the gauge is reading correctly.

Thanks for any help
lovinspeed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:21 PM   #2
MEDIK418
Registered Member

You're going to hear it pretty soon anyway but remember, you heard it here first. Dont' trust the stock gauge. Get a good numerical one. That said, the Ford manual gives one parameter for judging oil pressure in a 5.0. I may misquote this but if it will hold 25 psi at 1500 rpm, the manual says it's good to go. The part I can't remember for sure is the rpm listed but it was either 1500 or 2000 rpm. Anyway, I was surprised to learn there was nothing shown for idling pressure.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 12:05 AM   #3
lovinspeed01
Registered Member

The wierd thing is, is that tonight I did an oil change and put in 20w50 and the oil pressure is staying high. The oil pressure gauge never really moves, it stays at about the "o" in normal. I hope it will stay like this.
lovinspeed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 09:14 AM   #4
PKRWUD

You really, really need to use an aftermarket gauge. Yours won't tell you anything specific. You could line up 10 Mustangs like yours, same year, same model, same mileage, and odds are no two would have gauges that read exactly the same.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 03:46 PM   #5
White GT
Registered Member

A good investment is

· Ford racing (autometer) oil pressure gauge
· Ford racing (autometer) temp gauge
· A guage cage with vents or a pillar mount in your mustang.

This is what i have on mine

And i can tell that the factory gauges are just for fun.

The reading s**** and they are not trustable.

Anyway what does NORMAL Mean. When you hit the red line it's too late

My GT

My Web Page

On Car domain
White GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: