MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-31-2001, 07:04 AM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Post Need help troubleshooting Vac. tree

Can anyone help me diagnose my problem with my vac. tree mounted on the firewall? I need someone to tell me how their setup is working and which vac. lines go to which letters on the tree. I found some black fluid (seems to be brake fluid, can't be oil) residing in my upper manifold plenum where the cover is removed. Ironically, I have my vac. inlet on the underside of the plenum so I figured something is (or was) backwards. Thanks

------------------
Finally DONE!!
93 GT, 393 stroker w/ Edlebrock Performer heads and EFI, 30lb injectors, Dynamic Roller Mite C4, 8 pt cage, Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, 3.73's, '69 351W block w/SCAT crank.
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 07:57 AM   #2
Brian88
Registered Member

the S on the tree goes to the intake on the back side where there is one big and two small nipples. it goes to the big one. the brake booster gets connected to the other big nipple on the vacuum tree. the ac goes to accumulater. there are two other ones, i think they are s/c which i believe goes to cruise control and i don't know the other one.
Brian88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 11:14 AM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Thank you. I'm going to check that I have them correct after work. I still can't understand how that brake fluid or whatever it is got into my upper manifold.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:27 AM   #4
RED92LX50
Registered Member

Not to confuse matters, but...I put in a Vac gauge last weekend, and I connected it to the s/c port on the tree - as it was capped off and not being used. I have working cruise control, so I am not sure what that port was for. 92 LX 5.0 Convertible.
RED92LX50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 11:35 AM   #5
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

SC-must be for speed control, right? Do you think that in any way possible the intake could suck fluid along with the air? I'm really bummed about this. How does that vac. tree actually work?
Old 07-31-2001, 02:30 PM   #6
exgmguy
Registered Member

That tee is simply a place to tap into manifold vacuum. As long as the hoses fit ok, it does not matter which one goes where. (obviously you can't put the brake booster on the dinky one...)
If you are sure it is brake fluid, I would imagine your master cylinder could possibly be leaking into the brake booster somehow? Is your brake fluid low?
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 02:58 PM   #7
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

exgmguy- I'll check that fluid level. If it is my Master Cyl. how do I replace it?