MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-30-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
eriksmith
Registered Member

Default tapping noise

I bought the car non-running. The kid that had it before me flooded the engine with antifreeze while trying to put a larger throttle body and egr plate on. After this the engine started tapping.

I believe it had collapsed lifters, so I replaced them. Meanwhile I removed the heads and rebuilt them... regrinding the valve seats, replacing the valve seals, etc... I changed the oil and motor flushed the engine a few times hoping it would remove the remaining antifreeze. After all of this, it is still tapping.

Any suggestions on what to do next?
eriksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Default Re: tapping noise

Fawkin rod bearing dude!!!!

A/F in the oil is NEVER a good thing!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
eriksmith
Registered Member

ugh i thought it might be that... I read about that on remanufactured.com somewhere. It said about knocking the freeze plugs and stuff out also.
eriksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:42 AM   #4
PKRWUD

A little info on bottom end engine noises:

Main Bearing Knock:
Main bearing knock is usually apparent when the engine is pulling hard, when an engine is started, during acceleration, or at speeds above 35 mph.

Loose Flywheel or Broken Flexplate:
A loose flywheel or broken flexplate can usually be detected by this procedure:
1) Advance engine idle to 2000 rpm.
2) Turn off the ignition switch.
3) When the engine has almost stopped, turn the switch on again.
4) Repeat this procedure several times.
5) If the flywheel is loose or the flexplate is broken, a distinct knock will be heard every time the ignition switch is turned back on.

Harmonic Balancer:
A separated harmonic balancer will generally produce a heavy rattling noise that can be heard at low speed.

Rod Knock:
Excessive connecting rod bearing clearance noises are usually a light rap or clatter much less in intensity than main bearing knocks and the loudest when the engine is "floating" or running with a light load at from 25 to 35 mph. The noise will become louder as engine speed is increased. By grounding out each of the spark plugs, one at a time, you can determine from which cylinder the noise is coming. The noise may not be eliminated entirely by grounding, but it will be reduced considerably in intensity. The easiest way to ground out the cylinders is by inserting a 1.5" piece of 5/32" vacuum hose on each terminal on the distributor cap, and then placing the spark plug wires over the vacuum hose. With the alligator clip end of a non-powered 12 volt test lamp attached to ground, touch the test light tip to the vacuum hose to ground out that cylinder.

Piston Slap:
Piston slap is loudest when the engine is cold, and lessens or disappears after the engine is warm. When driving the vehicle (at from 25 to 30 mph) the noise will increase in intensity as the throttle is opened and additional load is applied. To detect piston slap, try the following procedure:
1) Pour several ounces of 40 weight engine oil into the suspected cylinder(s).
2) Crank the engine for several revolutions with the ignition turned off. This will allow for the oil to work itself down past the rings and act as a cushion.
3) Install the spark plug(s).
4) Start the engine.
5) If the noise is eliminated, the engine has a piston slap condition.

Piston Pin Noises:
Piston pin noise is usually the result of excessive piston pin clearance. This will cause a sharp, metallic, double-knock sound most noticable when the engine is idling. Sometimes the noise is more audible at car speeds of from 25 to 35 mph. To test for excessive piston pin clearance noise, use this procedure:
1) Run the engine at idle speed.
2) Retard the spark to reduce the intensity of the knock.
3) Return the spark timing to the normal setting.
4) Short out each spark plug, one at a time. The double-knock sound will become more audible at the cylinder with the loose pin.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
rwhite65
Ride Hard

PKRWUD-
another sweet post! I will be adding this one to my how to file on my desk top.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:44 PM   #6
1979bruiser
Registered Member

make sure you check your header gaskets. i had a motor one time in the past that had an exhaust leak at one of the cylinders and it sounded just like a lifter tap.i know you said you rebuilt the heads and everything and would assume new gaskets, but just a thought.
1979bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote