MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-27-2003, 11:11 AM   #1
curry10
Registered Member

Angry 97 gt won't idle sometimes

I have a 97 model gt with 4.6 This morning cranked it up...killed,cranked it up reved up for a minute....killed,cranked it up reving got on the road drove about 10 miles on the highway ok at speed no missing or anything.When i came to my first stop pushed in the clutch.....killed.did some crazy three footed driving then all of a sudden it's idling fine .my old lady told me the other day it kept dieing on her any thoughts would help.
curry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:08 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Does it seem to be a temperature issue when its cold outside?

Also, did your theft light turn on at all?

If its doing it while cold, you could have a grounding issue. Fairly common on 96-98 GTs.

If you see a theft light dancing you could have a ground fault or computer problem...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 12:17 PM   #3
curry10
Registered Member

definately not a temp issue, engine was at normal running temp and still died at idle. went have the codes pulled and nothing. I don't know if its a fuel problem or not .It seems like if it was a fuel problem it would stall at high speed???
Old 11-03-2003, 12:14 PM   #4
curry10
Registered Member

Thumbs down

nobody???????this board sucks!!!
Old 11-03-2003, 12:45 PM   #5
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by curry10
nobody???????this board sucks!!!
gee that's a great way to get help.

How about you pull your head out and check the plugs, wires, fuel filter, MAF (for dirt) and all the other basic stuff that you should know to do, then tell us you still have a problem, which we may then have a better idea how to fix, rather than NOT give us any useful information then whine that we don't help, ya big baby.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 01:10 PM   #6
curry10
Registered Member

Default deuce

Didn't mean to get your panties all knotted up but didn't get the response I thought I would .I have checked all you mentioned and still can't figure this thing out:confused: What's more confusing is that it's not all the time,all of sudden it will smooth out and run perfect for 2 or 3 days
Old 11-03-2003, 03:07 PM   #7
Titan
Registered Member

Default I feel your pain...

Curry, mine's been doing the same thing. It's actually in the shop right now get a full tune up, but I'll tell you the steps I took to fix mine.

First off, I bought it w/ 49,800 miles on it and I'm very willing to bet the dealership didn't perform the 50,000 mile tune-up.

When the problem started happening, I adjusted the idle manually (big mistake) so I could keep it running to get to the shop. I had the fuel injectors cleaned and that fixed the stalling problem, only now the thing was reving to high from where I had adjusted the adle. After looking around, I found out my throttle position sensor was messed up, so I had that replaced and the throttle adjusted properly.

Get my car back today, so I'll let you know how it's running, but your symptons sounded identical to mine. Also, check your air filter...mine was a little dirty and when I cleaned it, the idle smoothed out a little better. Maybe just a mind trick, but you never know...

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote