MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-17-2002, 12:39 PM   #1
89lxinwky
Registered Member

Question Info. on old blocks

I'm getting ready to start a long-term project and have been looking for an old 351 block to put in my '89 Mustang. I'm planning on buying a stroker kit (something in the 400 ci range). A guy at work has an old 351 block that came out of a '74 Elite that he will basically give me if I want it. I know this was during the transition period from the 351C to 351W. Will this be a decent block to have as a base for a stroker? My plans for this car is occasional driving and trips to the track for fun. He also has a 9" rear end from an early '70's LTD. How much modifications are required to put this rear end in a fox body? Like I said, this is a long term project so I will be doing the research as i go, but right now I was mainly interested in more info. on this engine block and it's pro's/ con's. The obvious pro to this in my situation is to get the block prepped all it will cost me is inspection/machining costs to punch it out for the stroker kit. Any info. will be appreciated.
Thanks
MAC headers, Flowmasters,
3.73 gears, Steeda Tri-AX, Mickey ET Streets,
Vortech V1-SC, 38# injectors, Crane InterceptorII

7.9's @92mph (traction enhancement devices needed)
89lxinwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 09:06 PM   #2
HotRoddin
cranky old man

The wisdom has always said the older blocks have a higher nickel content thus are stronger, and they have thicker cylinder walls ... Well i don't know about the nickel content thing but i just personally saw the cylinder wall myth layed to rest ... I had a 351 W block i pulled out of a van sonic checked, (the block was cast in early 84), and they told me it had the thickest cylinder walls of any 351W they had tested. They wanted to know where i got it and what it came from.
So theres one piece of the puzzle for you ... take it for whats its worth

PS: We also weighed my bare block and one cast in 79... the 79 was about 3 or 4 pounds heavier .... but.... it was standard bore and mine was cut .030 over so that could have been where the difference in weight came from ???

PSS: I think that sonic check (40 bucks here) is great insurance... especially on a stroker ... and it gives you piece of mind that you're not gonna spend a ton of money on machine work then shove a piston through a cylinder wall because it was to thin.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 03:37 PM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

From '69 to '71 the 351W had a higher content of nickel but it's actual advantages have been disputed over the years. I think the determining factor is if you plan on using a roller cam & lifters or not. The pre-'75 blocks do not accept the roller lifter without an expensive retro-fit kit. I stayed away from it due to the price and went with a flat tappet hydraulic cam & lifter combo. Also, the early Mexican blocks had the highest nickel content of all Windsor's.
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 12:35 AM   #4
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

Red face

Not quite sure, But my old 69 351 GT, c9 headed motor, would not match up to the newer heads.( stock heads ). Maybe to after market, But something in the way the water jackets were shaped at the deck. thats why I had to use c-9 heads on my work truck, instead of the low compression heads from the original 86 motor.
Oldschoolpony is offline   Reply With Quote