MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-26-2001, 05:47 PM   #1
joey50gt
Registered Member

Question Need some directions on this fast please.

ok guys on my recked 5.0 i have to get the rearend out of the car. I mean the whole axle and the upper control arms out with in a week from today.
Is it really hard to get it out of the car or can i get it done with in a day or so? can some one give me some simple directions on where to start unbolting and all the places i need to unbolt to get it out and what about the brakes what do i need to take off so that the brake lines are not connected to the the axle.Oh and one last thing can i do this my self or will it be a lot better if i have a friend to help?
Thanks in advance for any help given
joey50gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 03:47 AM   #2
84_GT350
Registered Member

I always have a friend with me whn I'm working with anything heavy just in case. You'll need a tranny jack to support it while you get it out. Shouldn't take you too long but you'll need to let the retaining bolts soak in liquid wrench overnight. That way you can get them out without breaking them or stripping the heads.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 11:11 AM   #3
dinomite
The Dude

you will need a *LOT* of wd-40. jack up your rear right now, and spray every bolt you see with a load of that stuff. its not too difficult to do, but very hard to get to the bolts on the frame of the car (upper and lower control arms). i did it with 2 jackstands and a floor jack. chock your front wheels, jack up the rear as high as possible, put the stands under the frame and go at it.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2001, 03:09 PM   #4
oldman
Registered Member

You can have it out in about 45 minutes if you have help. Now. . .getting it back in takes a bit longer because of the brakes and assorted hardware bit it's really not hard to do at all. Trust, I have a 18 year old who's managed to break 3 in the past two years. (got an 8.8 now. . . finally)

Here's an easy way to do it. Raise the car and support the car with good jackstands. Raise it enough to give yourself some room. You're gonna have to have a floor jack to support the rear end from this point on. Remove the brake line going to the rearend. This is probably easiest to undo it at the floorpan connection. ( is for me anyway) Now for the tough part. Remove the emergency brake cable and to do this ya gotta remove the brakes. Be patient, you likely will have several new names for FORD motor company before you get em free. After that you can remove the shocks at the axle. Start with the upper control arms and remove the bolt at the axle side, it just seems easier to go this route for me. You can remove the other two bolts alter when you have lossa more room to work in. After that you can remove the bolts from the axle side of the lower control arms and you got yerself an axle. Have some help with you when you remove the last two bolts as the axle likes to try to flip over on the jack when you do.

I know, overly simplified but it really isn't that hard to do. Have fun.

[This message has been edited by oldman (edited 07-28-2001).]
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote