MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-22-2001, 12:33 AM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Post Need vacuum advise before I start the engine tomarrow-please help

I finally got my exhaust straightened out and I want to start the engine tomarrow. I really need some help with the vacuum system. Just to set things straight, I am not running and smog pump or AIRB/AIRD valves but all the factory vacuum sources are available(the vacuum reservoir in the fender, vacuum tree on firewall, etc.). I also have vacuum ports all over the Edelbrock manifold. There are 3 in back of the upper plenum, and one underneath it. What are they for?? And where does the PCV valve hose go to? I have a vacuum source on the valve covers also. Does anyone have any vacuum diagrams they could scan for me?? thanks
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 12:59 AM   #2
jimberg
Registered Member

You need one small (3/16" I believe) line going to the fuel pressure regulator from the intake. You need a big line going from intake to the PCV valve. You also need a big line going from intake to the vacuum tree on your firewall. The throttle body line should go to the passenger side valve cover. The other valve cover should be plugged completely.

Where they actually connect to the intake doesn't really matter as long as what is connected is supposed to have uncontrolled vacuum.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 01:19 AM   #3
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

OK, I got that now. But what are these bundle of five vacuum hoses that are placed in the pass. side fender/firewall area for?? I think one of the lines feeds the reservoir tank inside the pass. side fender. the others were plugged by the former owneer of the car who was drag racing it and seem like they would go to the smog pump system if I had one.
Old 07-22-2001, 03:10 AM   #4
jimberg
Registered Member

Yes, two go to the thermactor system which you don't have and one goes to the EGR valve. If you trace the lines through you'll see a group of three vacuum control solenoids. The big one on top by itself is EGR and the two below it are for the thermactor.

There is a line that goes from your gasoline vapor canister to your intake. I wasn't sure if you were still using that. That's a pretty big line. 3/16"-1/4" I think.

------------------
Old 07-22-2001, 08:46 AM   #5
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

OK thanks. But what about these ACT and ECT sensors? I have no where to plug them in or at least if it's there I can't see it. Where do they plug into? What can I do? Also, I am not running the cannister purge system.
Old 07-22-2001, 12:38 PM   #6
jimberg
Registered Member

The Engine Coolant Temperature sensor screws into the heater tube up by where #1 injector is. The Air Charge Temperature sensor screws into the manifold by where #6 runner is. Or, on later models it is mounted on your air inlet tube.

------------------
Old 07-22-2001, 01:13 PM   #7
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I think I'm getting things confused. The plugs I'm talking about are actually part of the injector harness and are right next to the injectors. There are two open plugs on the pass side and one on the driver's side that matches exactly (even down to the color of the wires) with one (out of the two from above)on the pass side. Their is literally no where for these to plug into. I remember on my 87GT it had some metal tubing running alongside the pass. side bank right on top or next to the valve cover. I don't have that system. Maybe that's what they plug into?? Also, I have a vacuum line that is coming from the fuel tank that smells like fuel....where does it go? Was that line part of the cannister purge system and if so, what do you suggest I do with it? thanks
Old 07-22-2001, 06:24 PM   #8
PKRWUD

Don't forget about your power booster.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 08:50 PM   #9
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I don't mean to sound stupid but what does the power booster do?? Could it be a reason why my fuel pump us not pushing fuel to the rails??
Old 07-22-2001, 10:26 PM   #10
PKRWUD

The power booster is the big round canister mounted inbrtween the master cylinder and the firewall. It's what gives you power brakes. Without manifold vacuum, a power brake system becomes very difficult to use.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 11:10 AM   #11
jimberg
Registered Member

Stang_ROTY, I know you're having fuel problems at this point, so this probably isn't that important right now, but those pipes that are missing were your heater pipes and the ECT did screw into the big one. That's one of your connectors.

I'm not sure about the thread size, but you should be able to screw the ECT into where the heater pipe went, or at least be able to get an adapter to screw it in there. The ECT is necessary for the computer to make calculations for fuel control.

I think the other one either goes to your air pump or evaporative emissons canister. Either way, it doesn't matter at this point.

Your brake booster is hooked up to the vacuum distribution tree on the driver's side firewall. There should be a big tube going from back of the intake to that tree.

------------------

[This message has been edited by jimberg (edited 07-23-2001).]
Old 07-23-2001, 11:24 AM   #12
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

jimberg, thanks for the help. I will check to see if there is a whole for the ECt sensor I think I know what you are talking about and it's already installed. But I'll check again. I am still trying to figure out why my fuel pump isn't working and I'll try to empty the tank tonight after work and check the pickup tubes for a block. Also, those two plugs(not threaded but actual plugs)that are part of the EFI harness on the pass. side are bothering me too. I can't find the female connector to plug them in anywhere. But as far as my P/B is concerned...I have that hooked up correctly to the maifold vacuum witha large vac hose. Wish me luck! I need some right about now.
Old 07-23-2001, 12:41 PM   #13
jimberg
Registered Member

Those two plugs are what I'm talking about. The ECT sensor itself screws into the heater tube or manifold and then one of those connectors goes to the ECT.

The other one is likely to a component that you have deleted.

------------------