MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-18-2001, 05:53 PM   #1
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

Question Negative effects of timing advance?

Alright, I read the post earlier (timing question) and was wondering the negative effects of advancing your timing. I had mine at 14 and moved it up to 16 after reading that post. I probably could go more but I wanted to find out more. I know you don't want pinging or knocking but do you take it all the way up to that point and back it down. By the way my car is basically stock, all I got is smog eliminating belt and gutted cats w/ flows
Thanks as always for your input.

------------------
90 5.0 Convertible
and loving every minute
of it!!
90'5.0 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 06:59 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb

Timing is controlled by the relationship of the position of the piston to when the spark occurs. If the ignition spark occurs too soon
it can actually push against a piston traveling up the cylinder as it's compressing the fuel/air mixture. This causes detonation, lost power, much higher combustion temperatures as well as higher emissions and early internal engine part failures.

Simple procedure; using 92 (or higher) octane gas, advance by 2 degrees at a time; 12 degrees, then 14 degrees, then 16 degrees.
Test by driving up a hill in fourth or otherwise putting a 'load' on the engine. If it 'pings' (metallic rattle sound, which would be your valves complaining) then back off 2 degrees and test it again.

Hint: Cool weather will diminish the chance of detonation a bit...hot weather increases it.

[This message has been edited by Mr 5 0 (edited 09-18-2001).]
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 09:53 AM   #3
90'5.0 Conv

Lightbulb

Ok, I did a search on all timing questions and can't help but to think that the wear on your timing chain as well as temperature are the main factors in being able to advance your timing. Oh yeah also of course the octane fuel you run. So, what I basically am wondering is how someone can run 32* timing. That is just amazing to me. Like I said earlier in this thread, I bumped my timing up to 16* and had a very noticeable difference, but the weather here in So. Georgia has also cooled off a bit (highs in the mid 80's as appossed to mid 90's that is has been). When you hit that noticeable difference, Is that when you possibly should stop. Please give me any info you may have.
Thanks
James

------------------
90 5.0 Convertible
and loving every minute
of it!!
Old 09-19-2001, 11:18 AM   #4
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Every car will be different. It will depend on the plugs you use, the fuel, etc. Do as Mr 5 0 said and advance it and drive up a hill in a high enough gear to really bog it down with the gas pedal floored. If you hear the pinging you've gone too far. It will be loud enough you will hear it assuming you don't have your radio cranked. That will be good enough to get the maximum amount of timing out of your car and be on the safe side if you back it off 2 degrees after it starts pinging.

But really, 16 degrees is plenty.

That 32 degrees of timing may be someone who is reading it without pulling the spout connector out and they are getting a bogus reading or they are quoting base timing before the computer takes over? They are probably actually getting around 12-14 degrees or so I'm guessing. I could be wrong as hell :P

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 12:16 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

'90 5.0 Conv:

That 32 degrees advance you mentioned is probably total timing, which includes initial and mechanical advance combined.
All you need to be concerned about here is the initial timing advance, which should be around 14 degrees.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 12:21 PM   #6
90'5.0 Conv

Talking

Ok, Thanks for all of your help and the informative answers.
James

------------------
90 5.0 Convertible
and loving every minute
of it!!
Old 09-19-2001, 02:17 PM   #7
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

Yeah thats what the 32 degrees sounds like to me. You manualy set the timing with the shorting plug out. When you put it back in check your timing, because it won't be the same as where you left it. The computer takes over, it sees what you set it at and makes a comprimise with you. It uses your timing advance within its parameters. Hope this helps.

Phantom

------------------
CHECK OUT MY MODS

http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1350

Loose Cannon Racing
Scarzi Machine Works
Phantom5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 02:43 PM   #8
CRIPPLED PONY
Registered Member

Also the more timing you have, it will give you more low end power, but with this, you can give up a little top end power.
CRIPPLED PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 02:49 PM   #9
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

The EEC IV computer takes care of all the advance functions, if you noticed when you change your cap and rotor the rotor is fixed with no mechanical or vac advance provisions. The computer adjusts the timing advance ( or retard) curve based on programmed parameters, up to a total maximum. Moving up the base timing will increase the maximum total timing, thus fooling the computer to allow some performance

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. Silencer removed, K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch, FMS blue wires Energy Suspension end links
88 Notch 2.3L 5 speed Parts/beater car My two Notchbacks

74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 Finally fixed getting a 454 to put in garage
<A HREF="http://www.chevellepages.com/folingo" TARGET=_blank>www.chevellepages.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 03:21 PM   #10
90'5.0 Conv

Cool

Wow, thought this thread was over.
Thanks everyone for your help.

------------------
90 5.0 Convertible
and loving every minute
of it!!