MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-21-2001, 03:52 PM   #1
Seven
Registered Member

Question Clutch kit recommendations 94GT

Hey All,

My 94GT at 125K (mostly highway) is in need of a clutch replacement. All street (maybe some track in her future I've read good things about the King Cobra kit from last years posts and the price looks right at D&D. Anything else I should do while the engine and tranny are hanging out? clutch linkage/cables/pedals? throwout bearing fork? Should the trany have a peak at its synchros and shift fork? anything else?

Seven

------------------
94GT stock, but not for long
Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 04:49 PM   #2
andy669
Registered Member

I highly recommend the mcleod stuff from d&d in michigan. I also got the aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster. Be sure to tell them that you are using the stock cable, they will give you a bushing along with the firewall adjuster. Unless you want to spend $60 on a new adjustable cable. If you do, i'd still get the firewall adjuster. If you werent having any trouble with the trans grinding or popping out of gear, I wouldnt touch it.
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 07:56 PM   #3
blueneonman1
Registered Member

"andy669" is right about the firewall adjuster and quadrant while using the stock cable. That is the best setup. Why? Because just about all aftermarket cables are _crap while the stock one holds well. The aluminum quadrant is good because the stock one could chip its teeth after awhile. If you can't get the firewall adjuster and quadrant (preferrably from Steeda), go with an adjustable clutch cable assembly (anyone but SVO). It might be better to have it adjustable at the bellhousing because you can visualy inspect the cable slack at the fulcrum. Cont'd...

------------------
Blueneonman - '95 5.0L Mustang GT Convertible | K&N Custom Cold Air Intake | FMS 9mm Wires | Hollow Cats | Flowmaster 2 Chambers | BBK Subframes | 6-pt Rollcage | 14deg Timing | King Cobra Clutch | FMS Adjustable Clutch Cable | Coolest Neon Lighting on a Mustang EVER!

Homepage: http://www16.brinkster.com/blueneonman/

Best time: 14.578 @96.20mph
blueneonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 08:03 PM   #4
blueneonman1
Registered Member

as far as the clutch assembly, go with the King Cobra. It's perfect for street use and track because it's not too tough on you calf muscles while driving around and it grips good. Plus, the kit comes with the throwout bearing, alignment tool, plate, and clutch. Also get a pilot bearing for $10. The assy. should only cost $200 while the clutch quadrant and adjuster should cost like $80.

------------------
Blueneonman - '95 5.0L Mustang GT Convertible | K&N Custom Cold Air Intake | FMS 9mm Wires | Hollow Cats | Flowmaster 2 Chambers | BBK Subframes | 6-pt Rollcage | 14deg Timing | King Cobra Clutch | FMS Adjustable Clutch Cable | Coolest Neon Lighting on a Mustang EVER!

Homepage: http://www16.brinkster.com/blueneonman/

Best time: 14.578 @96.20mph
blueneonman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 08:45 PM   #5
VibrantRedGT
Registered Member

Another vote for the King Cobra clutch. My 94 has had three clutches and the KC is the best by far.

------------------
1994GT-Vibrant Red, GT-40X Heads, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Lunati Cam, Edelbrock Intakes, 65MM Throttle Body, C&L 80MM Mass Air, MAC equal length headers, Bassani off road X, MAC Cat Back, March Pulleys, 3:55 gears, Aluminum Driveshaft, King Cobra Clutch, Steeda Upper/Lower Control Arms, G-Trac Bar, Strut Tower Brace, Motorsport Springs and alot more.

1986 Grand National-FOR SALE-TE-44 Turbo, ATR cam, 42lb. injectors, 3 inch down pipe, pulleys, 2800 converter, shift kit, dual exhaust and alot more
VibrantRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 11:28 PM   #6
Seven
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks andy669, blueneonman1 and VibrantRedGT
I've read that the King Cobra setup is a little easier on the leg then the heavyduty from d&d. Although, I didn't see the King Cobra kit listed on D&Ds site. Do they carry the King Cobra or should I be looking somewhere else? It looks like Steeda has a kit for the quads, cable and firewall at $115 and D&D has something for 90. I think my list is going to look something like this

King Cobra clutch kit
Steeda quads, cable and firewall adapter
Bearing retainer (steel or sstock?)
pilot bearing
rear main seal

Stuff I'm still thinking about:
tranny mounts
new flywheel vrs re-surfaced
Clutch fork (not sure what the one in there looks like)

Where can I find a good price on the King Cobra clutch (for that matter all the other items to)

Seven
Old 05-22-2001, 02:00 PM   #7
Seven
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Guys,

This is what I did:

D&D heavy duty clutch
Steel bearing retainer
firewall adjuster with quads (kept the stock
cable
Pilot bearing
rear main seal
Pro 5 shifter (couldn't resist the price!)

Parts coming in next week!
Any one know of any private mustang mechanics in San Francisco?

Seven

------------------
94GT stock, but not for long
Old 05-22-2001, 03:10 PM   #8
andy669
Registered Member

Good choice dude! I'll agree with the other guys though, your left leg is gonna be about 6 inches bigger in a week!..lol.. But damn does it hit hard!
andy
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote