MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   new coolant leak after intake install (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=1362)

fiveohpatrol 02-28-2001 09:51 PM

new coolant leak after intake install

i know what your thinking but im almost 100% sure its not the lower intake leaking around the front or back seals, i drove it around all day today and it was fine but when i went out earlier this evening the temp guage was all the way up so i pulled over and slowly removed the radiator cap and added about a gallon of coolant, then on the way home the temp fluctuated but never went all the way up, so i popped the hood and there was coolant all over the place including underneath, i ended up seeing some come out of the upper radiator hose at the neck coming from the intake but took it off and there were no cracks in it at all, it may have been down too far and over that bump on the neck and didnt seal properly, but i was also thinking that maybe it was coming out there cause the whole system was so hot and it was relieving pressure there, my question is that could anything with the EGR or any vacuum line that i did wrong make it overheat like this or do you just think its the hose not sealed properly? thanks guys (as i smear the keyboard with grease)

------------------
88 Notchback 5.0, 3.73's, pulleys, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air kit, motorsport wires, MSD coil, upper and lower control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best time- 13.99@99.75, not yet tested times after 1.7RR install

http://www.mustangworks.com/mustangs...g739-slot2.jpg

fiveohpatrol 03-01-2001 11:33 AM

can anyone help?

------------------
88 Notchback 5.0, 3.73's, Explorer intake, pulleys, Crane 1.7's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air kit, motorsport wires, MSD coil, upper and lower control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best time- 13.99@99.75, not yet tested times after rocker and intake install

95mustanggt 03-01-2001 01:21 PM

Can you see where the coolant is leaking? Maybe you have air in the cooling system?

------------------
White 1995 Mustang GT
Dynomax Cat-Back, Offroad H-pipe, performacne chip, K&N Filters w/o Air Silencer
My 1995 Mustang GT

withamc 03-01-2001 01:34 PM

I've had the thermostat slip down when installing it and not get a good seal where the housing meets the manifold - check that. Can you get your hands on a cooling system pressure tester? Also did you make sure the coolant fittings on the manifold aren't leaking?

fiveohpatrol 03-01-2001 08:52 PM

i think i may have air in the system but would that be making it leak somewhere or make it have too much pressure and find a way to leak somewhere, that seems like what is happening, i saw it coming from the upper rad hose and tightened that then it was fixed until earlier today and then i saw it leaking from other places , i just looked under it but didnt inspect it completely to see it was coming from exactly, now the upper part of the engine is dry and its leaking from down lower somewhere, can air in the system cause this much pressure to do this? oh yah and i'll check the thermostat housing

------------------
88 Notchback 5.0, 3.73's, Explorer intake, pulleys, Crane 1.7's, BBK headers, off-road H-pipe, flowmasters, subframe connectors, 65mm TB, shift kit, March ram air kit, motorsport wires, MSD coil, upper and lower control arms, 155lph fuel pump, cheap 2800 stall, Crane Adj.FPR, best time- 13.99@99.75, not yet tested times after rocker and intake install

Mach 1 03-01-2001 10:51 PM

What is the problem? You say your car is running hot, and you have coolant leaks all over the place, and you want help? Obviously, you need to fix the leaks, wouldnt you agree? This is the first step to solving your problem. If you fix all the leaks, and it still runs hot, then we can look into other possible problems, but you have to eliminate the obvious first.

fiveohpatrol 03-01-2001 10:58 PM

i know that but i need to look into why im having leaks before i can fix them, im thinking theres too much pressure in the system and its causing leaks, can an airpocket in the cooling system cause this extra pressure somehow? the only reason it is running hot is cause most of the coolant would leak out during the drive, i've narrowed it down that far, so i have no problem except for finding out why its leaking

------------------

Shotgun28 03-02-2001 12:12 AM

To answer your question, yes air pockets in the system can cause a leak. One of our daily drivers had a leak (coolant loss) internally, no visable loss and we had to replace the intake gaskets, and after we got the car, a couple of days later there was coolant everywhere, large puddles, small puddles, a real external mess. Well we brought it back to the dealer, they pressure checked the car for four hours, yes four hours, needless to say I wasn't very happy, and nothing, no leaks. And about two days after we got the car back again, it just stopped, nothing. No leaks, no more puddles, I called the dealership and they said it was more than likely, a air pocket, and it worked it's way out. And to make a long story longer, smiling, everything is fine. No leaks and the car is running perfectly. But now you could have either, a bad intake gasket, or an air pocket....You should have a pressure check done.

------------------
91 LX Convertible Gray on Red B&M Shift improver kit,ASP red alum. underdrive pulleys, Richmond 3.73 gears, 1 5/8 Flowtech long tube Headers and off road h-pipe, Flowmaster 2-chamber cat-back with S.S exhaust, MSD 6A Ignition with coil,Cap and rotor, Taylor Pro wires, K&N 12" conical filter system, Jet stage 2 performance chip and just purchased some GT40P heads, looking at exhaust, Lentech Street Terminator plus on it's way...

fiveohpatrol 03-02-2001 01:32 PM

ok, im really hoping that its just air in there, my friend that was over when we installed it said there was one in there cause we had it running with the radiator cap off and when it started to take the coolant in it bubble and spill out real bad, i'll check it out, thanks

Godslayer 03-02-2001 09:21 PM

An airpocket will not cause leaks. It will cause the car to possibly overheat but it will not cause leaks. If there is no external leaking then the only other place it can go is into the cylinder bore, http://www.mustangworks.com/interact...oard/frown.gif. Pressure check it and find out if it holds pressure. If the raidator is full it will not suck in air if you have the cap off. If you have an airpocket it will work it's way ouyt but it won't make the system leak. Maybe your radiator cap is shot and not allowing the pressure to escape. When you pressure check the system, check the cap also and see if it let's go where it should. I think the Mustang cap is 15-17lbs, I'm not sure. It says on the cap itself. Let us know brother! http://www.mustangworks.com/interact...oard/smile.gif

------------------
87 GT
Full exhaust, K&N, KB Subs, BBK STB, homeade dumps...

87 Taurus
New York
Winters Bite!

fiveohpatrol 03-03-2001 01:02 AM

well i put the pressure tester on the radiator neck and found 3 leaks and fixed them all, then filled up with coolant and it was fine, drove it for about 25 minutes hard and the temp stayed where it always used to, then i let it sit for a couple hours and then drove it and the same damn thing, the temp skyrocketed again, when i checked the pressure before that i pumped it up to 16lbs and let it sit and it dropped very slowly (2lbs in 30min) and i couldnt hear any leaks at all after i fixed the 3 beforementioned leaks havent pressure checked it after this drive because i just got back, if the thermostat was bad then i wouldnt feel the coolant going through the upper hose right? so i think that the stat is fine, i dont know im just pulling my hair out and throwing things out there

------------------

fiveohpatrol 03-03-2001 01:11 AM

i just let it cool down and checked the coolant level and its all the way up to the neck on the radiator and at the correct line on the resevoir, what the hell is going on? can we narrow this down to anything yet?

fiveohpatrol 03-04-2001 01:43 PM

ok, put a new thermostat in and i think that was it, no leaks as of yet and i've driven it twice so far with the temp staying fine and heat working well so i know theres suffecient coolant flow, i'll be sure to continue the post if its not fixed but i'm being optimistic this time http://www.mustangworks.com/msgboard/smile.gif, thanks for your guy's help

------------------

Mach 1 03-04-2001 02:28 PM

fiveopig...I mean patrol..godslayer is right, air pockets will not cause a leak. If you have leaks , it is for other reasons, like poor mechnical work. Air in the system can cause it to run hot though, and is easily removed by running the car without the rad cap on, and squeezing the upper hose gently to aid in removing air bubbles. let it run for awhile, and repeat the squeezing of the hose, and the air will work its way out. Once you dont see any more air bubbles, you are good to go.

fiveohpatrol 03-04-2001 05:53 PM

lol, now im gonna have to change my username, i dont really care for pigs, my stang used to be a patrol car so i figured i'd use that but now i may change it, as for the problem, i think i worked all the air out and pretty sure that it's fine now but not positive yet

------------------

Godslayer 03-04-2001 09:15 PM

The thermostat could stick open or closed, it could also have an intermittent problem, though not likely. If you have any other problems, let us know.

------------------
87 GT
Full exhaust, K&N, KB Subs, BBK STB, homeade dumps...

87 Taurus
New York
Winters Bite!