MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-29-2001, 09:27 PM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Post New engine running HOT...is the problem the pulleys?

I've been struggling with cooling problems and today when I took the car for her second drive I noticed the temp gauge was at 190 steady and then shot up to 210 and climbed all the way to over 235 but under 250 before I got her home. My question is do you think the problem is the March pulleys I have on the water pump or the 180 degree thermostat. The engine seemed to run cooler with the thermostat out but that was in the driveway. Also, did I warp my heads by running her hot and how can I tell if i did? I'd imagine that I'd really have to overheat it bad to do so but since everything is new I'm a little paranoid.

------------------
Finally DONE!!
93 GT, 393 stroker w/ Edlebrock Performer heads and EFI, 30lb injectors, Dynamic Roller Mite C4, 8 pt cage, Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, 3.73's, '69 351W block w/SCAT crank.
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 11:46 PM   #2
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I've never had any experience with aftermarket aluminum heads (yet), but it has been my experience that it doesn't take much to warp aluminum heads. Are you still running the original radiator? If so you may want to look into buying a new one and a new high flow water pump. For the time being I would pull the thermostat back out.

Keep a very close eye on your coolant and oil over the next few days for signs of a milky brown substance. You may want to invest in a compression checker and do a check on each cylinder just to be safe. They should all run within 10% of each other. Mine run from 140lb to 150lb. It's not a guarantee if everything looks OK, but it's a start.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2001, 06:43 AM   #3
Jeff Chambers

Are you sure that you're spinning the water pump in the right direction? If you've deleted accessories, make sure that you're spinning the WP in the stock direction if you've still got the stock pump. If you've got an aftermarket or replacement pump, pull the back cover and make sure the impeller is the right one for the direction that you're turning it. I've seen this happen before where somebody replaces the WP, only to get one with a normal rotation impeller and suffer cooling problems as a result.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.462 Seconds / 117.43 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2001, 08:18 AM   #4
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Jeff- I checked the part number on the pump I have installed and it is a reverse rotation pump for a serpentine system, which I am using. The only way for me to verify that I have the right pump 100% for sure is to remove the pump and check the part number on the inside, which I'm not too thrilled about doing. It seems to flow well but the overflow tank is never full. I'm using one of those Moroso overfills with the nozzle to drain under the front bumber. Do you think it has to do with the smaller pulleys? I had a charging problem until I replaced the fancy March pulley with the stock one. Now it starts.
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote