MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-16-2003, 10:05 PM   #1
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Default New exhaust installed

Just took the first ride in my 90 GT since I replaced the stock exhaust with an o/r x-pipe, new O2 sensors, and a 2.5" Magnaflow SS exhaust. Even though the motor is stock, it sounds awesome! Just like I wanted, quiet at idle, comes alive over 2000 rpm's! The Magnaflow system was around $320 shipped from Brothers, great quality and a low agressive tone. At first the tips would not clear the GT rear bumper but a little work got both tips to line up nice.

One quick question. H-pipe vs. X-pipe:

H-pipe= cheaper, louder
X-Pipe=small horsepower increase (very very small)

Are the H's really THAT much louder than x's?
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:50 AM   #2
VeNuM
Registered Member

I have shorty headers and an offroad h-pipe and the Magnaflow SS catback. It's throaty at idle, not quiet like a stock Mustang. Whenever you tap the gas it comes alive, even at 1500 it has some decibles to the tone. It has a very nice sound to it though. I have contemplated about getting an x-pipe though, little more horsepower and little quieter like you said. ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 01:40 PM   #3
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

The straight through design of magnaflow mufflers and an o/r x-pipe, will the loss of back pressure hurt low-end torque?
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 02:54 PM   #4
Simi Stang

Default torque

Quote:
Originally posted by GhettoPop
The straight through design of magnaflow mufflers and an o/r x-pipe, will the loss of back pressure hurt low-end torque?
No, you shouldn't lose any low end torque. Just keep your tailpipes on. Putting turn downs on can take away some low end torque. It definitely did when I tried that on my '90 GT.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:11 PM   #5
VeNuM
Registered Member

Like Simi Stang said, you won't lose any torque, and the hp will climb a little bit. The x-pipe helps in getting the most out of a dual exhaust system. ~Brian

Old 07-17-2003, 09:46 PM   #6
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
Originally posted by VeNuM
I have shorty headers and an offroad h-pipe and the Magnaflow SS catback. It's throaty at idle, not quiet like a stock Mustang. Whenever you tap the gas it comes alive, even at 1500 it has some decibles to the tone. It has a very nice sound to it though. I have contemplated about getting an x-pipe though, little more horsepower and little quieter like you said. ~Brian
I wouldnt necessarily say its quieter, but it definately has a different sound. The H pipe has a raspier, old school muscle car sound, and the x has a cleaner more eaqualized sound.

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 09:30 AM   #7
VeNuM
Registered Member

I've heard a guy with a stock type engine with an offroad x-pipe and Borla catback (very similar to Magnaflow) and I would say it's a notch quieter than my car. Maybe it's just because of the different tone though. ~Brian

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: