MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
KobraLX
Registered Member

Default New fuel pump whines horrible...

Well I finished installing my Walbro 155 lph pump from Tommie Vaugh Motorsports last fall in my 89 LX. As it is a weekend only car it has only seen a couple hundred miles as I live in town also and don't go far. The last time I took it out about 5 weeks ago (been snowing/icing a lot here) I drove it the most since replacing and upon getting home the whine increased fourfold in volume before I shut her off. Tonight it started again (1st drive since then) on the way to dinner, plus it kept falling flat momentarily like the fuel wasn't being delivered for a second. Happened the worst when picking up some G's (cornering, accelerating). Half full of fuel and I know that's correct. I replaced the relay under seat, had the fuel filter replaced (but not since the pump replacement on either), and I was very diligent on keeping dirt out of the system during replacement. I have Kirban regulator but it's not installed. Regardless I got home and the pump was working overtime by the sound of it. Left and came back an hour later and restarted. Just as loud. Louder when you initially click the key than before on the old pump and monsterously louder upon starting the engine. The old pump had 189,000 miles so I was just doing some PM as it was slowly starting the increase in volume and I was going to remove the tank to ease installing my new catback anyway. The pump was about 5 years old before installation.

Any and all thoughts??
KobraLX is offline   Reply With Quote