MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-27-2006, 07:31 AM   #1
scale
Registered Member

Default new heads and cam....

I have a 91 lx auto with around 85k miles. I want to find a new setup for heads / cam to give a few more horse. I dont want a full blown race car.....just more horses.

Im thinking some new aluminum heads and a cam to let it breath better and sound meaner. i have new headers / h pipe and mufflers but now want to get into the engine a bit. I have a cobra intake that needs to go on but wanna do heads and a cam at that time.

Any thoughts? Im thinking some AFR heads right now but i dont know what size.....and im not sure which cam (e cam, Trick Flow stage 1...etc)
1991 LX coupe,AOD, red, 80k, K&N, MAC cat back, MAC off-road X, Autometer Gauges, BBK Ceramic unequals, fully polished upper intake, fuel rails, and egr, working on installing.....MM full length subs, H&R sport springs, MM Lower control arms, MM caster camber plates, bilstein shocks, struts.
scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: new heads and cam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scale
I have a 91 lx auto with around 85k miles. I want to find a new setup for heads / cam to give a few more horse. I dont want a full blown race car.....just more horses.

Im thinking some new aluminum heads and a cam to let it breath better and sound meaner. i have new headers / h pipe and mufflers but now want to get into the engine a bit. I have a cobra intake that needs to go on but wanna do heads and a cam at that time.

Any thoughts? Im thinking some AFR heads right now but i dont know what size.....and im not sure which cam (e cam, Trick Flow stage 1...etc)
AFR 165's and a Trick Flow stage 1 cam would be great.

Stay away from the E303 cam. Not very idle friendly.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
lx mike
Undescribable

I had the afr 165, tfs stage 1 cam and cobra intake. was a fun ride and put me well into the 12's in the 1/4. with an automatic you'd need a higher stall converter and at least 3.73 gears.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Edelbrock, Holley, and TrickFlow all make kits (heads, cam, intake) that are supposed to be perfectly matched. Not a bad idea if your not too sure of the choices. If you want to mix and match the components yourself, I would start with the AFR 165 heads and go from there as lx mike suggested.

The exhaust system choices shouldn't be forgotten though, as they are extremely important.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 06-27-2006 at 07:20 PM..
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote