MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-14-2001, 01:15 PM   #1
gt93mustang
Registered Member

Post New MAC intake?

Last night, I was reading in the March 2001 5.0 Mustang about the new intake MAC is coming out with. They never really say what the flow numbers are, but did mention it made 35 more CFM because of the curved plenum. 35 CFM more than stock? 35 CFM more than the Edelbrock intake (because the article says MAC modeled this intake after Edelbrock's)? Does anyone know any more information about it. I MIGHT be interested because the price is great and it is a great looking intake, but I need something that flows well over 250 CFM. I checked out the website they had listed and it doesn't seem to be up. Also, I don't know if I would want to buy an intake from an exhaust company in the beginnings of their expansion. Then again, I might wanna grab it now while the price is low. Any suggestions?

------------------
MAC equal length headers, MAC Off-Road H-Pipe, Flowmaster mufflers, 373's, March ram-air kit, underdrive pulleys, 73mm MAF, 75mm TB, Saleen Intake (ported), Edelbrock 6037 heads (ported, polished, 3 angle valve-job 255CFM @.500), 1.6 FMS RR's, Wolverine 1087 Cam, 24lb injectors, MSD 6AL, Subframe connectors, Griggs Fully Adustable Lower Control Arms... and probably some more in there I forgot
gt93mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 02:40 PM   #2
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

If you do choose to go with the mac, i'll buy your old one

------------------
90 lx coupe: Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil,advncd ignition,3-core radiatr, FMS alum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs, 3chbr flows.
Best time: 14.20(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph 97.80
Best 60' 2.1
next mods: subframes, 3.73's

90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 04:42 PM   #3
gt93mustang
Registered Member

90dpscoupe - The reason I want to go with another intake is because the one I have right now, I am borrowing from a friend. And to tell you the truth, I really don't like the Saleen intake because it has the dual injector setup on the upper plenum and three of the 8 injector holes won't get a good seal and it causes a bad vacuum leak. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I just can't get them to stop leaking. So, when I find another one I like, I am going to give him his back.

Anyways, I don't really know if I am going to go with the MAC, or if I will just go with the tried and true TFS Street Heat. I was just thinking, I could buy the MAC, polish the outside and do a little port work on the inside and it would flow better than an out of the box TFS and it would look a heck of a lot better. Of course, I could be wrong about it flowing better because I haven't been able to find any numbers on the MAC.

------------------
MAC equal length headers, MAC Off-Road H-Pipe, Flowmaster mufflers, 373's, March ram-air kit, underdrive pulleys, 73mm MAF, 75mm TB, Saleen Intake (ported), Edelbrock 6037 heads (ported, polished, 3 angle valve-job 255CFM @.500), 1.6 FMS RR's, Wolverine 1087 Cam, 24lb injectors, MSD 6AL, Subframe connectors, Griggs Fully Adustable Lower Control Arms... and probably some more in there I forgot
Old 01-14-2001, 06:38 PM   #4
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

How the heck do you get a March 2001 5.0 magazine already? Anyway, if you have a scanner send me some pics!

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 06:55 PM   #5
gt93mustang
Registered Member

Hey Axeman, I just got it in the mail a few days ago and finally had a chance to read through it last night. I will send you the picture they put in the magazine. If you have seen an Edelbrock intake, you have seen the MAC. They look VERY similar, actually, they are exact. If you get a chance to take a look before I get it scanned, look on page 70.

------------------
Old 01-14-2001, 07:30 PM   #6
gt93mustang
Registered Member

AxemanZZ - I sent the file over in .jpg format. It's a bad scan, but I think you can get the general idea.

------------------
Old 01-14-2001, 08:40 PM   #7
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

That does look like an Edelbrock. I think I like the looks of my GT-40 better though.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 08:55 PM   #8
gt93mustang
Registered Member

It does look like an Edelbrock. I like the look of the Edelbrock, especially if its polished. I used to have one and was very happy with it, it just didn't flow well enough so I am looking for something else. I thought if I could get this and it flowed 35 more CFM than the Edelbrock, I could gasket match it and do a little portwork and I could have a nice intake for $300.

------------------
Old 01-14-2001, 10:16 PM   #9
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
I dont know for sure, but i think it is 35 cfm better than the edlbrock. Another intake worth mentioning is the trick flow "R" intake. It has a 2500-7250 rpm powerband, if hi rpm's are your bag. it worked awsome on an AFR 185 headed(flows 260cfm, the heads), comp cams xe282 cam, 302 with a stock shortbkock & made 424 hp @6000rpm &381 lbs-ft @5600rpm. (dec00 MM&FF)
hope this helped
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 10:26 PM   #10
gt93mustang
Registered Member

BowTie Eater 5 Liter -

Actually, I have thought about the 'R' series TFS intake and I think it is just too much intake for my application. I am looking for good torque down low for the street, but something that will let my combination breath throughout the band. When I went from my Edelbrock intake to the Saleen intake, I picked up 11-12 HP at all points on the curve. That doesn't sound like a whole lot, but when you look at the increase of area under the curve, it makes a big difference. Unfortunately I lost 5 ft/lbs or torque, so I am looking for something that will give me those types of power gains while bumping my tq back up to where I want it. The Track heat is also a little much for my combination, but the Street Heat is right where I want to be. I would be curious what kind of torque numbers I could get with the Street Heat. Anyways, to get back on the subject, I am trying to decide if I should pay the extra $100 for the proven intake (TFS Street Heat) and get something that looks like I could grill hamburgers on, or get the MAC for $100 less, get a better looking intake, and possibly get an intake that isn't proven yet. Does anyone know MAC's web address?

------------------
Old 01-15-2001, 10:48 AM   #11
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

I'd have to bet that it was 35 cfm over the Edelbrock as well. Also, the article says that there were a few other minor improvements over the Edelbrock design such as slightly straighter # 1 and #5 runners in the lower and some minor port massaging which may yield some minor improvements.

Of course, for $300 ($200 cheaper than Edelbrock's), and even minor improvements, it looks to be a steal. I may wait until some tests come out for it, but I do need an intake pretty badly. Also, it should match perfectly with their 70mm TB/EGR combo.

--nathan
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 01:35 PM   #12
gt93mustang
Registered Member

Yep, I think if it is 35 CFM more than the Edelbrock, and I can do a little more work on it at home for free and get a little more flow out of it, it would definitely be a steal for $300.00. I just might pick one up, throw it on my car, and post up some dyno numbers for comparison. I just don't know how I would feel telling people I have a MAC intake... unless it made the numbers to back it up.

------------------
Old 01-15-2001, 01:52 PM   #13
SLOWPONY
Registered Member

I called MAC today and they said the intake should be out next month. Then again it was the third person I talked to that any clue what I was talking about
SLOWPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2001, 06:12 PM   #14
gt93mustang
Registered Member

Hmm... that kinda worries me. The people at MAC didn't know about their own product yet. I'm sure it is still new news though. I'm sure as soon as it does come out, we will get some real numbers and even a few dyno tests out of the mags.

------------------
Old 01-16-2001, 02:33 PM   #15
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

i just got off the phone with my MAC guy and this is the latest news..
the intake is on the back burner and thier is only 2 prototypes out right now..he didnt know thier was a price yet??the intake is being put off cuz thier just finished cold air intakes for excurions and expeditons and a long tubes for a full size bronco

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..

[This message has been edited by LX XLR8R (edited 01-16-2001).]
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 06:55 PM   #16
gt93mustang
Registered Member

Thats good info, LX XLR8R. I guess I will put my thoughts of possibly getting one onto the back burner for a while then. Since I am probably not going to get that one, I have heard the Holley intake isn't emissions legal. Is this true? If not, I'll just pick up a TFS this weekend. Thanks everyone for helping me out! I can always count on you guys.

------------------
Old 01-22-2001, 12:04 PM   #17
clearwaterms
Registered Member

I just ordered my new MAC intake on Saturday. My speedshop guy told me I was the first one to order one, so we will see, I will post some dyno numbers from it when I finish. goal 375 flywheel horsepower with a intake, mildly ported E7 heads, anderson b-25 cam with 1.7 rockers and springs to take the motor to 6250 RPM's.
clearwaterms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 12:53 PM   #18
slow87GT
Registered Member

since when are tfs intakes tried and true? they suck, I've never seen good results w/em and they're ugly as h@ll.

the mac intake looks good for the $ to me
slow87GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 01:30 PM   #19
Shotgun28
Registered Member

There must have been a huge resonse from the 5.0 article on the MAC intake because it sounds like they are a little more on the ball.This is MAC's reply to me via-email regarding the Intake "the shipping date is in may but we will be reserving orders in april". I am not sure if I can wait that long so if anyone has the time which intake would you recommend for the GT40 P heads>?

Hope the MAC info helps, more of a confirmation of other posts in here.
Shotgun28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 03:33 PM   #20
clearwaterms
Registered Member

Well I don't know what the shipdate is but if it is that far away, i might be looking into other options. For my motor, what is better, the Trick flow or Cobra or Edelbrock? Are there other options out there? I running a blower, and will be running a blower cam come time to install this stuff. 375 flywheel with stock heads.
clearwaterms is offline   Reply With Quote