MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-14-2002, 03:21 PM   #1
Alphanerd
Registered Member

Question New to Mustang have Qs.

I am planning to buy a 5.0 Mustang but want to avoid as many pitfalls as possible.

Some background on me. I have always had some form of "fun" car to play with. I grew up Mopar, but have seen the light or headlight as it were. Also I've grown tired of paying extra for the same hop-up parts. I have chosen to go with the 89-93 Fox-body mustang as I love the look, the price is right, and their are lots of upgrades to choose from.

Back to my questions:

1. Is their anything I should look out for?
You know the watch out for this and the X part in Y year is a piece of junk kind of thing.

2. Other than personal preference stick or auto?

3. LX or GT?
I'm looking for an inexpensive fun street car. I'm not sure I need all the extras of the GT but that's why I ask.

4. Any thing I else that would be helpful to know before I start shopping?

Thank you for your help.

P.S. I am posting this on the "street racers corner" board as well.
Alphanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 03:30 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Re: New to Mustang have Qs.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alphanerd

1. Is their anything I should look out for?
You know the watch out for this and the X part in Y year is a piece of junk kind of thing.

Nope. The best years are probably 91-92 but other than leaky rear main seals the fox Mustangs are pretty solid.

2. Other than personal preference stick or auto?

The T-5 transmission is more fun but no stronger than it needs to be. The AOD is fine if you don't push it but of course yopu lose power with it.

3. LX or GT?
I'm looking for an inexpensive fun street car. I'm not sure I need all the extras of the GT but that's why I ask.

The LX is about 25 pounds lighter and has smoother looks but the GT is also very popular. No difference in engine or anything else so no advantage to a GT except the appearance, if you prefer it.

4. Anything I else that would be helpful to know before I start shopping?

Try for a stock Mustang as it won't have been hacked or have mismatched parts. Do a CARFAX, of course, so you know the history. Low mileage is best but the 5.0 holds up well - with some care - well beyond 100k.

Don't buy the first 'Stang you see and don't overpay. There are plenty to choose from, in most areas.

Thank you for your help.

You're welcome and Good Luck.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 03:36 PM   #3
Coupe Devil

First of all Welcome to the Love of Mustangs and the Mustangs works. To answer your questions,

#1: Almsot every used car you find will have "something" wrong with it. Ashtray lid breakage is more than likely gonna be there on any used fox body car you look at. The cars years you listed are basically the same car except for the upgrade to Mass air in 89 I believe. I think the 88's were what is called speed density. For upgrade purposes many people prefer he mass air cars for street use. There are an unlimited of after market upgrades for these cars.

#2 Stick or auto, the ever looming question. Answer, what ever you want. I prefer stick for daily driving but for racing the auto is 99% of the time more consistent.

#3 The differences between the Lx and Gt are simple. Ground effects and higher insurance for hte GT. Thats basically it. If you like the way a Gt looks ( as I do more than the Lx) get that. But to my knowledge that is the only major differences.

#4 Take your time when shopping, look at several cars. In my experience it is better to by a car as close to stock (minus maybe wheels or a stereo system upgrade). That way you have a better idea of what has been done to the car. Ask for any reciepts the owener has when looking at a modified car. Make sure you dont get burnt on a cleaned up piece of junk...

Once again welcome to the site, you'll love it here. There will be many more, much more knowledgable people that will be able to respond to this thread and give better advice, Thats about all I have.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 04:54 PM   #4
mongo
Registered Member

Default LX or GT?

If you find a descent looking 89-93 fox body Mustang, ask whomever is selling it if any mods. have been done to the car and see if they have a paper trail on what's been done. Did they do the work themselves or did they take it to a specialty shop? Asking these and other questions will help you decide. The LX weighs less and it costs less on your insurance. If your looking for more flash, the GT the one to go with.The LX coupe also weighs less than the LX hatchback, about 200lbs. worth. When I was looking for my car, I wanted the LX coupe, but couldn't find one I liked so I went with the LX hatchback. I don't regret buying the hatch over the coupe. I've done enough modifications to the car I don't notice the extra weight.
mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 07:17 PM   #5
jimberg
Registered Member

www.mustanggt.org has a great description of what changed from year to year as far as GTs go. www.mustangregistry.org covers LXes.

The things that I think would be important for you to know is that the 140mph speedometer was added in 89 1/2, the driver side airbag was added in 90, which means you lose the tilt steering wheel, bigger fenders were added in 91, and they switched to hypereutectic pistons in 93. The 93 was the least powerful of them all, but the things that limit it will probably be changed by you anyway. It's the last year of the Fox body which may mean something some day and it would, of course, be the newest.

If you plan to just dive in and build it up right away, you can even consider buying a 4 banger and converting it to a 5.0 or even a 5.8.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:21 PM   #6
Alphanerd
Registered Member

Smile

Thank you all for the info I have found it very useful. I had all but decided on a LX but didn't know their where 2 versions. Don't get me wrong I like the GT's but figured the extra insurance money could be better spent. I appreciate how friendly and open you all have been. I will keep you posted and will be asking for your advice form time to time.

Thank you again.
Alphanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 05:41 PM   #7
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The coupe weighs about 60lbs less than a hatch. Not 200lbs.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 12:42 AM   #8
Stroked408
Registered Member

Thumbs up Good purchase

I will not state all the differences I know of since you are not in Cali,then you have nothing to worry about with a Cali car.

50 state MAF sensor and 140mph speedometers were all added in 89.

This is being a little more technical but there are different oil rings in the 90's.

Early 90 Mustangs had no arm rest,later in the year they were brought back.

As stated airbag in 90 no tilt,also the running horse logo introduced in all 90's.

Another technicality phosphate coated gears in the T5 tranny in 90.
In 91 bigger fenders to accomadate the new 16 inch Pony wheels.
In 93 one solid color they got rid of black trim they had on the 87-92 cars.
Reason being for the lower power ranking on the GT/LX for 93,and this is coming from Ed Lyons at FRPP"the Cobra had 235hp in 93,the GTLX the year before it had 225,it was all for insurance" the Cobra probably had closer to 255-260 so there is no difference in power between the 92 and 93,there is a mechanical difference 92 had forged pistons,and 93's had er hmm hyper-euretic or something like that LOL I hate the pistons reason I cannot spelll it. LOL Sorry Unit5 and Sky had to throw that one in LOL.
Anyway good luck with your car when ever you get it,and follow the advice on here,it is all good from what I read.

Launch Harder

Go Faster
Stroked408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 06:18 PM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Default Re: Good purchase

Quote:
Originally posted by Stroked408
...Reason being for the lower power ranking on the GT/LX for 93,and this is coming from Ed Lyons at FRPP"the Cobra had 235hp in 93,the GTLX the year before it had 225,it was all for insurance" the Cobra probably had closer to 255-260 so there is no difference in power between the 92 and 93,there is a mechanical difference 92 had forged pistons,and 93's had er hmm hyper-euretic or something like that LOL I hate the pistons reason I cannot spelll it. LOL Sorry Unit5 and Sky had to throw that one in LOL.
Anyway good luck with your car when ever you get it,and follow the advice on here,it is all good from what I read.
I posted the real answer to this issue a day or two ago. In actuality, Ford never rated the 1988-1992 5.0HO's. They simply carried the ratings across from year to year. This was dispite the addition of a restrictive 55mm MAF, a weaker revised camshaft profile, air silencer revisions, weaker computers, and a few other little changes. Ford's official reasoning behind the re-rated numbers being lower was a change of procedure. They stated they were taking average power production vs maximum. Kind of a crock of poo. The Cobra was underrated because of insurance purposes more than likely. The 1988 (CA MAF) thru 1993 5.0HO's probably make the same power, with the same computer. MAF cars don't quite make as much as the earlier SD cars. Bone stock, an MAF car is probably 210-215hp in the real world. The 87-88 SD cars should make about 225-230, generally speaking.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 07:27 PM   #10
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302
The coupe weighs about 60lbs less than a hatch. Not 200lbs.
Looks like you beat me too it

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 08:17 PM   #11
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Well Mr Mongo(or should I say jealous) here's your proof.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Values/Val...el=01003301109

http://www.nadaguides.com/Values/Val...el=01003301110

oh, btw, I would like a full apology for you PM.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote