MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-01-2001, 03:27 PM   #1
AxeMan
Registered Member

Post New Mustang Owner

Hello..

I'm thinking of buying a 1989 5.0 GT. I know a decent amount about 'stangs to get me by but I was wondering a few things.

Are there any problems I should look for with an 89 GT?
How dependable are they? This one has 112k on it not rebuilt.

Anything you guys can post would really help me out. Thanks.
AxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 04:29 PM   #2
bada$$lx

Cool

How much do they want for it? What sort of work has been done so far? Is it the original owner you're buying it from? How old is the owner? How does the engine sound/idle? How does it run? Ever been in an accident - run the VIN? Any obvious paint mismatch? Stand about 15-20 feet behind the car, squat down and make sure the front and rear wheels to line up.

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach drag-launch spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; Cervini's 3" turbo hood; A/C-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats; FMS 30# injectors; JMS chip; Holley 190lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113 - 1.78 60')
Old 08-01-2001, 04:50 PM   #3
AxeMan
Registered Member

Well, he's asking 2,800 for it. The kbb is 3000 in good condition. I havent checked out the car yet but I'm going to be buying a mustang soon whether it be this one or another one. I just wanted to know some of the "problem" things to look for.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:03 PM   #4
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Check out the frame rails and the fenders lips inside the engine compartment. Look for buckled metal often covered by spots of rust. These are tell tale signs that it has been in an accident. If you see them, ask the owner if it has ever been in an accident. They should be upfront with you about it. Just about every late model fox stang out there is going to have been in a fender bender sometime. Mine was in two before I bought it. Don't freak out about it, but check the repair work.

Were Ford parts used in repair (they're usually stamped with the ford logo)?

Do the seams match on either side, and are they uniform?

Do the doors sag?

Also, when you drive it (you have to drive it), drive it with the radio off and with no one taling. Listen and feel for vibrations. Sometimes they can be ruled out as tires needing balance or warped discs under braking, but others my tell a more serious tale.

Is the engine covered in oil?\

Look under the car at the frame rails. Are they straight? (there will likely be dents in them from using a car jack on them...this is normal and o.k.) Is there oil covering the back of the motor and front of the transmission? This likely signals rear-main seal.

Remember, most Mustangs leak something or other. A drop here or there often won't hurt and is normal for high milage motors, but pools of fluid on the ground must be checked out.

I guess last of all, if you have any doubts, take it to a mechanic that you know and have them look it over for $40.

--nathan

------------------
--silver_pilate

'91 GT, Built 306, Wolverine 1087 cam, ported Windsor Jr. Irons, and all the goodies...click the link to the left to see a full list of my mods...

Tried and True 302 Being Built to Outrun You! heh heh heh...
--Texas Panhandle--
Check out my site
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 05:44 PM   #5
AxeMan
Registered Member

Great! Thanks for the detailed response. I used to do body work so I know what to look for in ways of repair.

With the fluids leaking, is there any particualar problem areas that mustangs have? From the research I've been doing, the 89's seem to hold up pretty well.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:47 PM   #6
Super_Stang
Registered Member

Has the msutang been sitting there or is it still being diven just waiting to be sold? cause when i got my 89 it had been there for a couple of weeks and the water was all gone and there were major deposits in the radiator so it was clogged.. so i just got a new one and it cools might fine
Super_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 06:23 PM   #7
Stang Runner
Registered Member

The Valve cover leaks on alot of them but it is not to hard to fix about 4Hr&$35
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 06:30 PM   #8
AxeMan
Registered Member

Smile

Actually, the car is still being driven and he just put a new radiator in it.

I'm going to check it out tommorow and take it for a spin. Looking forward to driving a v-8 again.
Old 08-01-2001, 09:55 PM   #9
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Rear main seals leak quite often after alot of miles, but not too big of a deal.

Check for fluid coming out of the little hole in the bottom of the water pump. If there is fluid coming out, that means the seal of the water pump is gone. Also, the hoses to a from the water pump can get old and crack. Sometimes they won't leak until they get warm when your motor is running.

That about does it for leaks. Remember, any high mileage car is likely to have a minor leak somewhere. Profuse leaking is what to watch for.

Also, pull the dipstick and look at the oil. Black, sludgy oil means it has probably been a while since the oil was changed.

Good luck, and have fun.

--nathan

------------------
--silver_pilate

'91 GT, Built 306, Wolverine 1087 cam, ported Windsor Jr. Irons, and all the goodies...click the link to the left to see a full list of my mods...

Tried and True 302 Being Built to Outrun You! heh heh heh...
--Texas Panhandle--
Check out my site
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 11:50 PM   #10
dinomite
The Dude

mustangs, like all fords, are well built cars, they hold up very well over time. the 87-93 model year have some quirks (you may notice the driver seat sags, you'll probably want a new on), but as long as it's never been in a major accident, and doesn't have any obvious problems (big leaks, as said before) then it should be ok. why did he have put in a new radiator?

i have a 90 with 88k miles on it, and it still runs great, only burns a little bit of oil when run hard (ie, after going ot strip). we have a number of people on this site with 100k+ on their cars, and are still getting track times almost the same as when new, and the even modded ones hold up well. there are a few people who have 200k+ and are still running strong as well!

------------------
90LX AOD Convertable: Lakewood control arms, FMS springs.
Best 1/4: 15.277@92.25 (2.27 60')
AIM: dinomite1, roadracestang
dinomite@softhome.net
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 02:58 PM   #11
AxeMan
Registered Member

Well, I went and checked out the car today. I checked all the areas that you guys suggested. The rear looks good, the flowmaster has no holes in it. New alternator, charged A/C. Power windows work but the lock on the passenger side doesnt work and needs to be replaced. No biggie there. The left front fender was replaced and it sticks out a little bit. There doesnt appear to be any frame damage and the body is straight otherwise. There's a small leak in the back of the engine on the drivers side. Nothing coming out of the water pump. It runs strong but has a little shimmy in the wheel. Seems like it may need an alignment.

The only problem I have with the car is the paint is junk. Someone keyed the hell out of it. I can pull out the ole d/a sander if I have to.

He's asking 2800 for it firm. Anyone have any other opinions you could offer? Thanks much.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:07 PM   #12
Super_Stang
Registered Member

My dad taught me that "cash talks and bullsh!it walks!" what are you willing to give him.. take that 2500 in cash and say i got 2500 right here right now. or something along those lines if ya know what i mean
Super_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 03:49 PM   #13
AxeMan
Registered Member

Wink

I know what you mean by that. When I call him back, I'll offer him 2300 bucks. If he doesnt take it, I'll just find another stang. It's not all that easy finding a decent GT in the under 3000.00 price range though.