MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-26-2002, 06:46 PM   #1
Agent_4573
Registered Member

Default New to NO2... need some help.

I just bought a zex 75 horsepower NO2 kit and had some questions about it. I'm really in the dark having never used nitrous before. For a 75 shot, am i gonna need a new fpr or fuel pump? What else do I need and what else SHOULD i get for it? pressure gauges, purge valve, what? And what is up with the purge valve, do you need one and when do you use it? Also, if i'm only going to use it once in a while, do i need a bottle heater, or at least a blanket? Any tips from NO2 users would be greatly appreciated because i really don't wanna go blow up my car or break the no2 before i can really get to use it. Thanks guys.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 07:17 PM   #2
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Default Re: New to NO2... need some help.

Quote:
Originally posted by Agent_4573
I just bought a zex 75 horsepower NO2 kit and had some questions about it. I'm really in the dark having never used nitrous before. For a 75 shot, am i gonna need a new fpr or fuel pump? What else do I need and what else SHOULD i get for it? pressure gauges, purge valve, what? And what is up with the purge valve, do you need one and when do you use it? Also, if i'm only going to use it once in a while, do i need a bottle heater, or at least a blanket? Any tips from NO2 users would be greatly appreciated because i really don't wanna go blow up my car or break the no2 before i can really get to use it. Thanks guys.
Go one heat range colder on the plugs just to be safe and back your timing down some. I ran a 75 shot for a long time on the stock pump, so you'll be fine there. If your thinking about stepping up to a larger shot and I know you will, you'll definately what to add a bigger fuel pump. As far as the regulator, the stock will be fine, it will increase your fuel pressure as you spray it anyway.

I never ran a purge valve, I just hit it a couple of quick times in the waterbox to purge mine out. A bottle heater is a good investment, for cool nights and the winter months.

You can run a 150 shot safely on a stock 5.0 with a little more fuel and some timing pulled, so I wouldn't worry to much about a 75 shot. To give you an example, I did spray my 75 shot one time before I got the rpms up and the only thing it did was blow a vacume hose on the back of the intake, it didn't even have enough to blow a headgasket. I'm not saying thats what would happen all the time, but it'll give you an example.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:08 PM   #3
Young_Pony

If your only going to be running a 75 Shot i agree with 91GTturbo back the timing down some and get some colder plugs, with this setup you should be fine

Im not exactly sure about this but what i think the purge valve dose is clear all the nitrous lines of air, ensuring that your only injecting N2O into your engine, if anyone wants to correct me on this? im preaty sure thats what it dose though

I would suggest getting a bottle blanket or heater if your going to be using it during the winter months or late at night, but otherwise you probly won't need them

You should probally think about getting a Bigger pump though, because you probally will up the shot eventually (everyone dose) and you don't want to take the chance of running to lean
Old 06-26-2002, 08:23 PM   #4
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by Young_Pony
Too Young to drive but 67 GTA sitting in the Garage
Hey, if you're too young to drive, why don't we bring that '67 down the 101, and put it in MY garage.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 09:02 PM   #5
Agent_4573
Registered Member

Ok, so now a question about when to use it. I'm not even sure how this works here. Does it only spray the nitrous when im holding down the button or do i hit the button and get like a 2 second shot of it or what? When at the strip should i hit it once in second and once in third, or just once in third? I don't think im gonna up the shot yet because the stock bottom end has 100k miles on it. I'm planning on building up a 351 long block over the winter/next summer and that will be built for a 125 or 150 shot in it. Thanks for all the help guys
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 09:22 PM   #6
PKRWUD

Unless you have it wired differently, it will spray everytime you hit the button, for as long as you hold the button, until it runs out.

In my opinion, the most important advice I could give you, is to only use it when you are at WOT. If your foot isn't on the floor, don't touch that button. Now, they make kits so that you can't turn it on until the throttle is at a predetermined point. Kit's like that only existed in sci-fi movies when I used nitrous, but are a great idea.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote