MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-23-2001, 08:33 AM   #1
avbcon12
Registered Member

Post New to site, I have questions.

i have a '90 GT 5.0 5 speed, 78,000mi. i use this car as a daily driver. i need help with what products to get to improve performance without hurting drivability TOO much? a bit wont bother me though. i also heard that TFS was a good brand. where can i check out their products? thanks for your help.
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 09:05 AM   #2
Smokedawg
Tires Fear Me...

Trick flow has quite a few nice products. There are all types of products to help you with your cars performance. As one can expect, the more the cost, the more power you will probably recieve.
A few good things to start on its exhaust. Headers, H-Pipe, flowmasters.
You can also get a MAF, summit has them for only 125. You could then move up to get a 65mm TB for 200. Then a good flowing intake.
Just go to summit.com or jegs.com and order some free magazines. Pick up some mustang magazines at a store and just read about things before you go out spending on them.

You will get good advice and opinions on items if you ask here at mustangworks.
Good Luck
Now go make your stang fast!

------------------
347 Stroker Motor: Balanced, Cobra Transmission, Extrude Ported and Polished Upper and ported Lower, GT40 Milled Ported and Polished Heads, B303 Cam, BBK 1 5/8 Headers, 30lb Bosch Injectors, Holley AFPR, March Underdrive Pulleys, Perma-Cool Fan, 3-Core Radiator, Accel Performance Coil, Accel 300+ Racing Wires, Ram Air, K&N Filter, 73mm Vortech MAF, 70mm TB, FlowMaster Exhaust w/BBK Offroad H-Pipe, Hurst Shifter, 3:55 Gears, Ram Clutch, Cross Drilled Rotors, AC and Smog del, rear seat del.
Smokedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 10:04 AM   #3
DAVISinLA
Registered Member

Hi avbcon.

I just completed a bunch of mods (listed in my signature). I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned on this message board.

FWIW, I think the biggest difference on my car came with the exhaust installation(headers and cat back) and the 3.73 rear end.

Also, I'd suggest you pick up a copy of 5.0 Mustang magazine to get an idea of just how much stuff is available for these cars.

Good luck,

Paul

------------------
'87 5.0 LX Convertible 5-spd., 69,000 miles!

Headers, cat-back, Bilstein shocks & struts, springs, pullies, K&N filter, full-length sub-frame connectors, strut tower brace, 3.73s, Pro 5 shifter. Aren't these cars great?
DAVISinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 10:40 AM   #4
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Start with the exhaust (headers, h-pipe and cat-back exhaust). Then get some different gears (3.55:1 ratio won't hurt driveability too much and will have a very noticable effect in acceleration).

Is your suspension stock? If it is, it's now over 11 years old and would benefit being updated. I just installed all new suspension and it drives better than I could have imagined.

------------------
Eric - 89 Mustang LX coupe
302 - Cobra Intake - GT40p heads - TFS stage 1 cam - FRPP 1.6 roller rockers - Naturally Aspirated
3:73 gears - KYB shocks and struts - Eibach springs - HPM Mega-bite Jr lower control arms - HPM upper control arms
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 12:05 PM   #5
dinomite
The Dude

how fast do you want to spend? thats what you need to ask. i'd say gears should be first, get 3.55s, as you will definently feel it, but won't notice in gas mileage. as 89 Cobra LX mentioned, the suspension on a 10+ year old car leaves something to be desired. when i put new springs and shocks in my 90, the difference was amazing. i would suggest that you look into getting some new springs/shocks/control arms, as that will help the handling and make the car ride a lot better. you can do all that for about 5-700 dollars depending on what you get.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 08:36 PM   #6
avbcon12
Registered Member

thanks a lot for the help guys. i guess i should have given you a little bit of history. i just bought the mustang with 3.73 gears, k&n filter in stock box, accel 8.8 wires, 2 chamber flowmasters, and pony wheels. the engine other than that is stock.
what is the best MAF/ TB/ Intake combination out there (sizes/ brands)?
just today i eliminated the smog pump as well.
i am new to mustangs (but not fords) and need to get informed of what the most effective ways to boost power are?
thanks a lot for you help.
avbcon12 is offline   Reply With Quote