MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
bitter old man
Registered Member

Default newbie help needed air light 91 Stang

proud, maybe proud, very recent, within the last hour, owner of a 1991 LX 5.0. need a little help determing the whole airbag thing. I believe that when I turn the ignition on I should see some type of air bag indicator light....I do not. The only idiot lights I have is the battery, the person sitting with the seatbelt, and check engine light...no air bag light. Some looking for some help from 91 mustang owners, should I be seeing an air bag light and since I'm not doesn't that mean the airbag is NOT in place.....sadly, if that is the case wife will not allow son to drive the car and it'll be right back up for sale. any help is appreciated.
bitter old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:41 AM   #2
bitter old man
Registered Member

Default Re: newbie help needed air light 91 Stang

What gives? Doesn't anyone want to be the bearer of bad news, or is the question really that hard to answer. I've done some research on the web and came across all sorts of good information regarding codes and such for the airbag, and ran across references of the airbag light flashing, but I still have not been able to find out what the airbag idiot light looks like, that is why I came here. C'mon now, somebody has to know. When I turn the ignition on, shouldn't I see an airbag idiot light as it goes through its self test? Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated.....
Old 03-17-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
bitter old man
Registered Member

Unhappy Re: newbie help needed air light 91 Stang

hello, hello, hello, echo, echo, echo.....kinda like being the last living cell in a dead body......this forum must be a dead end link that nobody visits or communicates through.....goodbye now....

deleting everything to do with this site........
Old 03-17-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
gtnby2
Registered Member

Default Re: newbie help needed air light 91 Stang

Sorry, I havn't been on here for years...(wife and 3 kids now but I still have my car!!!). I would check to see if the bulb is there first. Alot of people disable the Airbag and remove the light cause it's so bright. if its there, make sure its good(switch it with another dash light that you know works). if its not put one in( again switch it unless you have one handy) and turn on the key...see what happens. If it stays on after a few blinks the air bag is faulty. check under the dash ( have to remove the steering column cover and the lower panels) and find the yellow wires. make sure they are plugged in and not damaged. next look under the hood on each side of the bumper support brackets for 2 little black boxes. these are the activation inertia switches for the airbags. if they are there and plugged in, your final option is to pull the airbag from the sterring wheel to see if its plugged in. IT WILL BLOW IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFULL SO UNHOOK THE BATTERY CABLES BEFORE YOU CHECK!!!! other than that, you got me...I never had to go past that point before I found the problem
gtnby2 is offline   Reply With Quote