MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-05-2001, 11:04 PM   #1
5.0PiMpin
Registered Member

Default Check Engine Light On Help Needed Fast!!!!!!

i just put on new O2 sensors on my 89 5.0 and now when i went to reset the computer im still seeing the light apear on the dash on and off. i think i reset the computer properly but i could be wrong. after i put the O2 sensors on i disconnected the negative battery terminal with the ignition on for 15 seconds. then i recconected the negitive battery and ran the car up and down the street. the light is still coming on and i dont get it. please help me , i gota mid term i gota get studyin for tommorow and i gotta get this over wit. ne help would be greatly appreciated. thank you
off road h-pipe , under drive pulley's , stage one center force clutch, removed air silencer, flows, K&N, 130 Amp pain in my alternator, optima yellow top 3.73 gears aluminum drive shaft and pro5.0 shifter...
5.0PiMpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 12:43 AM   #2
TJR
Registered Member

I always disconnect the battery for 5 minutes or so. Have you scanned it to see what codes you're getting. There could also be a problem with not having catalytic converters. I think it has something to do with the O2 sensors not being able to sample the exhaust gas correctly.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 01:19 AM   #3
stanger8172
Registered Member

I had my battery unplugged for 2 weeks on a the AOD to T-5
swap. After that it, no check engine light. Before that I tried
unplugging for 5 min. and 30 min. and those didn't work. Defin-
itely run a scan and it should have some codes. Do you still have
smog equipment?? If you do then they make a harness for that somewhere. Good Luck
'91 LX convertible , T-5, Centerforce Dual Friction, MSD Blaster Coil, FR 9MM wires, 13* timing, 1.6rr, ported/polished/milled stock heads, 1.94/1.60 stainless valves, March Performance Pulleys, K&N panel, 1"spacer, BBK shorties, 2 1/2" off road H, Summit 2 1/2" catback
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 01:23 AM   #4
ed1371
Registered Member

the culprit? the off road h-pipe! Mine does the same thing. With the weather getting colder, my engine doesnt heat up as much and I get the light more frequently.

I was freaked when mine did it...after talkinjg with other ppl with the same problem, now it is just a minor distraction.

I think there is a kit out there that "tricks" the computer so it doesn't happen but I believe it was for the sn-95's...not sure though

-ed
Old 12-06-2001, 01:59 AM   #5
5.0PiMpin
Registered Member

i guess you guys are right. but i just want that stupid engine light to stop blinkin on and off. i got like 148000 miles on the engine. i wanna learn how to check the codes . i have never done anything like this before , do i need special meter or tool. i read in the chiltons book for mustangs that the engine light coming on impairs the performance of the car. what do you guys think about that?
off road h-pipe , under drive pulley's , stage one center force clutch, removed air silencer, flows, K&N, 130 Amp pain in my alternator, optima yellow top 3.73 gears aluminum drive shaft and pro5.0 shifter...
5.0PiMpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 08:29 AM   #6
TJR
Registered Member

Quote:
i read in the chiltons book for mustangs that the engine light coming on impairs the performance of the car. what do you guys think about that?
It depends on what codes are triggering the check engine light. If it just blinks on and off occasionally, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You might want to get a code scanner to see what codes are being stored in the computer.

You know what, maybe you just need some more mods. My check engine light used to come on all the time too. After I did the head/cam/intake swap, it hasn't even blinked once.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote