MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-13-2002, 02:32 PM   #1
Kermit
Registered Member

Default A newbie seeking help

Hi everybody!

Although I don't own a mustang (yet), I'm very interested in the newer models of the mustang gt (say 93-94 and newer). But I have some questions! First of all I talked to a friend about the relatively small amount of power produced, concidering it's a 5.0l v8 engine. I was told that by minor modifications you could greatly increase the performance. Sorry, my english is not too good, and I'm not sure about the english word for what he talked about.. the intake perhaps? Anyway, I was told that simple modifications for about $1000 could increase the performance to above 350bhp, closer to 400.. Is this true? And if it is, what are these modifications? How does the rest of the car handle this? (transmission, clutch etc).

I'd be very grateful for any info on this

/ Eric
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 02:52 PM   #2
93GTDIN
Registered Member

if this friend of yours can squeeze 400 ponies out of a stock 5.0 with only 1000 dollars (without the bottle) then he knows something we dont. for 1000 bucks I would do:

pulleys (100)
fake edelbrock (300)
3.73 or 3.55 gears (200)
Flow master 2 chambers and off road X pipe (400 ish)

thats about 250 HP (neighborhood) but the gears will help alot with accelleration.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:56 PM   #3
Kermit
Registered Member

I thougt it sounded a little too good to be true . I'll talk to him when I get the chance and see what the h*ll he was talking about. Thanx.

About my other question.. How does the fors mustang handle higher effects? How much is the gearbox / clutch good for? What other parts might need replacing with higher effects?
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 03:29 PM   #4
mysweetlx
Registered Member

Even if you throw in a bottle, spraying 100-125 ponies.....you'd still be lucky to get 285-295 rwhp.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:31 PM   #5
mysweetlx
Registered Member

If you throw in a bottle (spraying 100-125 shot) and pulleys and other small mods, keeping it around $1k, you'd probably only be putting around 300-310rwhp.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:47 PM   #6
HORSEMEN RACING
Registered Member

Thumbs up Welcome Aboard

The list I would do in order I guess is what you can afford to do to it,once you get it,the list of things that are free and up too about 500 dollars in one pop,this is not fact just opinion on what to do first:

Bump the timing 12-14 degrees depending on the gas in your area
K&N air filter
Shorty headers,if no emission in your area go for an off-road X or H pipe
Aftermarket Mufflers(get out listen to different Mustangs with different mufflers on them,most popular is the 2 chamber Flowmaster,not the best but definitely most popular)
Short-throw shifter
Above all should have listed this first is a good state of tune
If you can afford it get some rear gears 3.55 is pretty popular,lot of people like 3.73 gears some are really ballsy and put 4.10's in stock Mustangs
In my opinion soon as you get the car I would change all the fluids in it,oil,transmission fluid,rear end fluid
I do not know if that added up to 1000 dollars it might be more but those are the simple things you can do right off the bat,well everything except the rear gear swap that is a task,if you want that done right take it to a shop where they use depth gauges,feelers,the whole 9 yards and listen to the car as you drive away,you will know what sounds strange and what does not,if you don't get a second opinion,and good luck when you get the car

"there are 5,000 Army troops sitting on their butts doing nothing,while 2 companies of Marines are securing this island" spoken by a Army General on the Isle of Grenada in 1983
HORSEMEN RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 03:51 PM   #7
HORSEMEN RACING
Registered Member

Unhappy OOPS

I definitely forgot about pulley's in there,if you know how to do it throw some aftermarket roller rockers on there also,in 1.6 or 1.7 ratio

"there are 5,000 Army troops sitting on their butts doing nothing,while 2 companies of Marines are securing this island" spoken by a Army General on the Isle of Grenada in 1983
HORSEMEN RACING is offline   Reply With Quote