MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-25-2002, 09:21 PM   #1
Mustang_GT_90
Registered Member

Default Nitrous Soleniod Problems

Ok guys here's the problem. I've got a nitrous works nitrous kit I bought new and it never has been really running up to par since I've put it on. I have messed with it and haven't been able to find the problem but now it's really starting to get to me. I am spraying a 125 shot and it's only dropping my car 5 tenths over all motor which is way off the norm. At first I thought it was spinning, then I thought maybe clutch was slipping when spraying or maybe even spark blowing out but we've gone through everything with that. The plugs are clean as could be. I replaced the plugs and wires and have an MSD coil allready. Well I went to get my bottle filled up, it should have been empty I've put about 7-8 passes on it, but had only used 5 pounds. This is running probably 5 full 1/4 passes and several spraying in second passes and then spraying it trying to work out the bugs. I've got plenty of bottle pressure, holding at around 900.
Today I pulled the line and checked it and sprayed it out with nitrous to make sure it hadn't some how gotten kinked, it was fine. Then I pulled the jets and made sure they weren't screwing up(clogged or something), they were fine. The plugs are clean, no detonation no fouling. My last resort was maybe my triggering system wasn't working right and the soleniods not getting enough juice. I've got it all on a 30 amp relay. Trigger side goes through an MSD window switch brings it in at 3000 cuts it out of 6, then through the WOT switch and then to ground for one side of the relay. The other side is to straight hot through the arming switch.
I pulled the fuel line loose and put the shradar valve back in and pulled the nitrous line off. Then I had a buddy get in the car and hold it at 3000 RPM while I checked voltage accross the soleniods with them open. It had batter voltage as soon as the MSD switch hit.
That was my last guess I don't know why else it isn't responding. One of my friends had a set of NOS Sniper soleniods go bad on him and wouldn't open all the way and flow enough even with good voltage I'm thinking mine might be a problem like that.
If anybody has any suggestions to what could be going wrong or a way to check and see if the soileniods are flowing right then please let me know this thing is really starting to get on my nerves.
Thanks

Last edited by Mustang_GT_90; 08-26-2002 at 12:14 PM..
Mustang_GT_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 12:03 AM   #2
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

Did BOTH of the solenoids 'click' when the ground path was completed (window switch 'ON')? You tested them for power, but did you try the following... arm system as normal with all your wires/lines/bottle hooked up, remove nozzle and tape/plug the hole closed in the inlet tube, start car and rev to 'ON' rpm, point nozzle away from anything you don't want frozen, and hit the WOT switch w/ yo' finger to see if the nozzle is blasting a fine mist or what have you... see what happens in other words.

Sorry if I couldn't be of any real help... just a suggestion. I can't think of anything else. Maybe send your solenoids back to "mustang works" ...you meant nitrous works? Not sure what their policy is, but NX claims a lifetime warranty on all of their 'noids.... I would imagine some of the other nitrous co.'s do the same.

Let us know what you find out...

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 12:12 PM   #3
Mustang_GT_90
Registered Member

Yeah Nitrous Works I don't know what I was thinking. That's a good idea about testing to make sure it's spraying good, someone also suggested that since the Nitrous works system doesn't have any type of filtering before the soleniods that the holes the spray bar might have become clogged or maybe even that somehow gas might have setup and caused them to clog. I'm gonna give it a try today and I'll let ya know what I find.
Thanks Again
Mustang_GT_90 is offline   Reply With Quote