MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-29-2002, 09:56 AM   #1
chris91LX
Registered Member

Question Nitrous quality?

Is there a most effective composition of Nitrous. I went to a guy last night who claimed his nitrous was better than another guys, stating his sulfur content was more pure or better or something. He also said that another shop mixes the gasses themselves, rather than getting it complete from a supplier. Anybody know what the deal is with this? How do I know where to get the best nitrous?
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 11:45 AM   #2
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

nitrous is nitrous..just like a piece of paper, is a piece of paper.
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 05:45 PM   #3
RPM427
Registered Member

I filled up my first tank last week (still havn't installed it yet, damn rain) and he told me it was medical grade. They got the wrong type of Nitrous. He siad it would be cleaner.

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 06:55 PM   #4
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

I'm hoping someone on this forum can answer your question more effectively, as I have wondered the same.

Yes, medical grade nitrous is PURE nitrous oxide... the 'Nytrous' that is recommend for use in our particular application has a sulfur dioxide added to it to prevent people from inhaling it. If you DO inhale Nytrous it is supposed to make you sick, not giggly, maybe both... never tried it.

As for purity relative to contaminants that would clog a solenoid for example... run a nitrous filter.

I've been told that there is NO difference in performance gains between the two.

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 09:56 PM   #5
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

I agree with ultraflo. The sulphur in Nytrous (Auto grade) is just used to stop substance abuse. Medical grade, while being purer than most, won't really make any difference. I've ran both, never noticing a difference at all. Don't let anyone fool you by telling you that "their nitrous is better". As long as its n2o you'll be fine.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:58 AM   #6
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

It all has the same amount of oxygen so it's all the same to a motor. If they've found some way to add more oxygen then they've done some amazing chemistry
Old 08-30-2002, 08:33 PM   #7
RPM427
Registered Member

If you try and inhale Nitrous without the mediacl regulator your lungs will freeze. I know that the suflfur dioxide is in there to prevent this. All nitrous is the same. The quality is always the same. The only difference is maybe water (condesation) or dirt may get trapped while transfering but that is almost impossible when using the NItrous refill stations. Everywhere you go to get a refill, they use these stations so no need to worry about getting a "bad bottle". Its all good.

check it out!
Old 08-31-2002, 03:51 AM   #8
PKRWUD

Although I've always gotten medical grade refills, it is my understanding that there is no performance difference between the two.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:57 PM   #9
squid
Registered Member

what kinda money are people getting to fill a 10lb. bottle these days? My last Nitrous car was my86 GT convertible and it seemed kinda expensive around hear?
Old 04-08-2003, 09:07 PM   #10
Shaggy
Registered Member

I can answer the question with a definant there is no performance gain with medical grade. The only difference I have seen is that in VERY large quantity's (IE : you make full 1/4 passes on large foggers or multistage systems and the motor is only running just before the burnout and is killed on the return road) The cylinder walls will actually get some rust on them below the lowest point of the rings on the stroke with nytrous+, that does not happen with medical grade. Remeber sulphur is caustic in small amounts (typical street usage) it never builds up enough to harm anything though.

I am not sure on small amounts but i think most people around here are paying 1.50 to 2.50 a lb for small amounts here.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:13 PM   #11
RPM427
Registered Member

Its about $3.50 per pound around where I live, and its about $4 per pound here in Hartford.

check it out!
Old 04-09-2003, 01:55 PM   #12
BilLster
Registered Member

i have found if you can find a welding supplier that will fill it for you instead of a speed shop its about have the price i have my own transfer station and the Welding Supply shop charges me $5.00 to fill so i normally run it as low as i feel safe then refill 2-3 bottles
Old 04-09-2003, 04:32 PM   #13
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Ii have no idea what the difference is in medical grade nitrous or industrial grade. I suspect there is none. However, i do know that yes, sulfur dioxide is added to the stuff we get for automotive use but it isn't designed to make you sick or prevent lung freeze.
SO2 as we call it (we manufacture the stuff) is a by-product of oil refining and there's tons of the stuff here. If you burn hydrogen sulfide gas, SO2 is what you wind up with. If introduced to water of any concentrate it turns to sulfuric acid (hydrogen sulfide and water make sulfurous acid) THe strength depends on the amount of SO2 and the amount of water present. What this does to you if you inhale it is BURN. It will instantly make your nose feel like someone lit a match in it. The further into your lungs it goes the more area it starts to burn. Will it kill you? Yes, if you are mean enough to stand the burning nose, throat and everything else in between your face and your lungs, and still continue to huff the stuff, it can lead to pulmonary edema (among other things) and then you may die. Most ordinary humans can't stand it long enough to do this. There is a small chance that people with COPD (asthma, emphysema, chronic bronchitis) might react to the stuff in a bad way and thier lungs will shut down but for most of the world, it will just be a painful reminder you ain't supposed to inhale this stuff and to please stop it.
If you do happen to get a whiff of the stuff wnhen changing bottles, don't worry, most likely you'll get a snotty nose and you'll look funny for a little while but, it won't poison you.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: