MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-24-2001, 09:36 PM   #1
Chevysucks
Registered Member

Question no burnout?

Hey guys tomarrow is wednesday and i am buying an 88 gt. its got 25,000 miles on the motor since it has been rebuilt. it has a cam, stage one port and polished heads, headers, ect...
Well the other day me and my dad went to take it for a test drive and the guy has the timing set at 21 degrees.. we went down this back road and stoped and my dad just mased the petal to the floor and the tires didnt spin. So then we took it to his friends house and his friend said it was prob. the timing and the sensor for the mass air.
If you guys have any answers to why my car isnt spining the tires like it should please help me out .
thanks.
Chevysucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 10:16 PM   #2
MDM
Registered Member

If base timing is set at 21 degrees, it is likely that the only thing you will get when mashing the pedal is detonation. Run 93 octane, take the timing back to 10 degrees base with the SPOUT disconnected and try it. If you are ok, you can advance incrementally from there as long as there is no detonation. I would stop around 14 deg if you get that far as the summer heat will make deto more prevalent, though some may argue to go higher. It may already be too late for this motor if it cannot spin the tires, assuming the clutch and other driveline components are functioning properly.
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 01:09 PM   #3
bada$$lx

Cool

Wow, 21 degrees is absolutely ridiculous. If he's been running that for a while, I think it might be time for another rebuild.

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; 190 lb fp; FPR; TFS track heat Intake - 12.513 @ 112 mph (Pre-inj/fuelpump/FPR/intake)