MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-24-2002, 07:46 PM   #1
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Default No A/C Condenser=LOW engine temps!

I was going to replace my old crappy A/C condenser with a new one so I took the old one out for the time being. Well, yesterday I decided to go for a drive in the 90 degree heat. To my surprise, my engine temperature never rose above the "A" in N-O-R-M-A-L. And this is with the stock cooling system and underdrive pulleys!! Since the condenser is out, the radiator is exposed and gets alot more air going through it to keep things running cool.

Just thought I'd share with everyone. It's a quick fix if your car is running a little hot.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 08:01 PM   #2
slo95
Registered Member

i wonder if we could rig up the radiator to be in front...since it is used all year vs the few months condenser! as long as no rocks fly into it it would be nice!
slo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 08:41 PM   #3
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Default radiator in front...

I only drive my car a few thousand miles a year and don't do any highway driving at all so rocks aren't a big concern for me. I plan on replacing the radiator this winter so it doesn't matter what hits it. The only thing would be to check it every now and then for leaves, etc. that might get stuck in it.

Putting the radiator in front of the condenser sounds like a headache wating to happen

Old 06-24-2002, 09:00 PM   #4
slo95
Registered Member

a headache - yeah - it was a nice THOUGHT of having cool air rushing directly therough the rad instead of thru the condenser then rad...

but yeah, unless all out race and you want to fabricate brackets...leave it stock locations.
slo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 04:11 AM   #5
Mach 1
Registered Member

Removing the condensor is not a quick fix, but a process that requires expensive air conditioning servicing upon reinstallation. I dont think you discovered anything new here and if your suggesting to pull the condensor if your cars running hot, and you would like to keep your air conditioning system on the car, there are better fixes out there, like a cooling system upgrade.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 06:03 AM   #6
PKRWUD

Not to mention, with the radiator in front of the condensor, not only is it more subjective to road debris, but in stop and go traffic, it won't cool well at all. It needs to have the shroud and fan close to it. Believe it or not, the engineers that came up with that design tried it the other way first.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 08:10 AM   #7
drudis

Default Re: No A/C Condenser=LOW engine temps!

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang_Crazy
I was going to replace my old crappy A/C condenser with a new one so I took the old one out for the time being. Well, yesterday I decided to go for a drive in the 90 degree heat. To my surprise, my engine temperature never rose above the "A" in N-O-R-M-A-L. And this is with the stock cooling system and underdrive pulleys!! Since the condenser is out, the radiator is exposed and gets alot more air going through it to keep things running cool.

Just thought I'd share with everyone. It's a quick fix if your car is running a little hot.

FYI, I have a complete working A/C system I pulled out of my 1989 Mustang with 32K original miles on it. You need any parts...

email me privately drudis@ford.com
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 05:39 PM   #8
Coolbreeze
Registered Member

Putting the condenser behind the Rad wouldn't be good for the AC. The AC wouldn't get as cold, because heat from the rad would be going through the AC condenser making it less effiecient.

Blown~AOD'ed~331~
T-top~ 86GT
Check out car on my page here ------ >
~~My 86GT T-top ~~
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 05:47 PM   #9
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach 1
Removing the condensor is not a quick fix, but a process that requires expensive air conditioning servicing upon reinstallation. I dont think you discovered anything new here and if your suggesting to pull the condensor if your cars running hot, and you would like to keep your air conditioning system on the car, there are better fixes out there, like a cooling system upgrade.
Maybe I should clarify my post. I was planning on replacing the condenser but have since decided to remove my a/c all together. I never said I discovered something new...I just never thought that the temp. differences would be as big as they were.

No harm no foul