MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-24-2002, 09:31 PM   #1
MustangGT1990
Registered Member

Default Computer Question

Anyone out there with a good knowledge of Mustang computers? My 90 GT is giving me a few minor codes but it never ever gives me an 11. From what I understand 11 (since my computer uses 2 digit codes) should mean that my computer passed it's self-test. I connected my scanner up to my uncles 91 Ford truck and it gave me a 111 (3 digits since it uses 3 digit codes) first before it gave me any other codes. Does this mean my computer can't pass it's self-test because it is bad? If ayone knows I would appreaciate the help.

Thanks!
1990 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary Edition, 5 speed, 5.0 bored .030" over, FRPP 65mm throttle body, FRPP 1.6 roller rockers, 70 mm MAF, Compcams XE264HR, FRPP Aluminum driveshaft, FRPP Heavy duty clutch, BBK offroad H-pipe, Dual-chamber Flows, Energy Suspension engine and tranny mounts
MustangGT1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 10:12 PM   #2
Shaggy
Registered Member

I could be wrong but it may not be your computer from my understanding the first 11 or 111 would be the soft code from that ign switch cycle so if any of your minor codes that would not pass immediatly witout the car running say tps out of range or some such. then you would not get the all clear code first.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:49 PM   #3
MustangGT1990
Registered Member

Ok, just to let you know, over the past few days I've put my old TPS, IAC valve, and TFI module back on. I still get the same symptoms. It will try to start but it imediately dies. If I could find out everything that it tries to check that would be helpful. The codes I got out were all normal for the engine not running. Mostly engine not up to temperature, etc... Any ideas? hehe

Thanks!
1990 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary Edition, 5 speed, 5.0 bored .030" over, FRPP 65mm throttle body, FRPP 1.6 roller rockers, 70 mm MAF, Compcams XE264HR, FRPP Aluminum driveshaft, FRPP Heavy duty clutch, BBK offroad H-pipe, Dual-chamber Flows, Energy Suspension engine and tranny mounts
Old 11-25-2002, 09:29 PM   #4
Shaggy
Registered Member

Okay let start with the basics if it is not running have you check for spark all the way to the plugs amd fuel all the way to through the injector?

The other thing might be a faulty ign. switch check the coil for voltage. Hook a meter up to the pos and neg coil wires have a buddy get in the car turn the key on and see if you get voltage . Then have him start the cat and see if you get voltage then and finally see if you still have voltage once he releases the key back to the run position.
Old 11-28-2002, 01:16 AM   #5
PKRWUD

After making the changes you made, you must reset the ECM. After you do that, run it KOEO, and post the codes.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 11:09 PM   #6
MustangGT1990
Registered Member

Just an update on the situation.
I had a couple of different things go wrong at the same time. That is what made it so hard to figure out and why I was afraid it might be in the computer.

1. The magnet on the pickp in the distributor broke in half. That is why it would not run. It would try to run but when the broke piece got in the way it would cause a misfire. Anyways, after taking the distributor apart and putting a new pickup in she fired up and ran like a top.

2. When I pushed the clutch pedal in and started the engine it ran fine. When I let the clutch pedal out it immediately jumped up to a 2500 rpm idle. When I pushed the clutch back in it would idle down to normal. This turned out to be a bad IAC valve.

Thanks for all your help. I'm learning as I go.
Old 11-30-2002, 11:26 PM   #7
srv1
Get down.....

when you are doing the self tests, are you making sure your A/C is off?
Old 11-30-2002, 11:52 PM   #8
MustangGT1990
Registered Member

Yeah I made sure the A/C and everything was turned off. Also made sure the doors were shut, etc... Now that I have the distributor and the IAC fixed I'm going to reset the computer and then test it again just for kicks.