MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-15-2002, 06:04 PM   #1
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Question No Instrument Panel Lights

I have a stock 1990 5-speed GT w/ 110k mikes. I no longer have lighting across my intrument cluster, heater/air conditioning knobs, or ashtray. I tried playing with the dimmer switch, but that didnt work. I figured it was a fuse, and I found fuse #13 (5amp) to be blown. So i replaced it and the new 5 amp fuse which blew as well. I tried a 10 amp fuse which didnt blow but caused fuse #4 (15 amps) to blow. I replced #4 and I was back to the original problem. In the car's manual, it says both fuses contol the "Intrument Cluster Illumination Lamps".

Has any one else had the same/similiar problem? Please advise beacuse electrical diagnosis is my worst area. Thanks.
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 07:48 PM   #2
Agent_4573
Registered Member

I haven't had that problem but you definately have a short somewhere. try getting under the dash with a flashlight and see if you can find a frayed wire somewhere. Maybe something fell down on the clutch assembly and wore through. If you have a trrailer hitch, check that and make sure everything is still ok with that. Besidest hat you may just ahve to keep looking until you find the wire that shorting out and blowing fuses.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 07:50 PM   #3
Agent_4573
Registered Member

One easy way to track it down quickly that I don't recommend would be to turn out all the lights inside and around the car and while your under the dash replace the fuses. 99 times outta 100 the thing causing your problem will spark as it blows a fuse. This should give you a good idea as to where your shorts coming from...
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 07:02 PM   #4
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Quote:
Originally posted by Agent_4573
One easy way to track it down quickly that I don't recommend would be to turn out all the lights inside and around the car and while your under the dash replace the fuses. 99 times outta 100 the thing causing your problem will spark as it blows a fuse. This should give you a good idea as to where your shorts coming from...
First off Agent, thats an INSANE idea....but I will give it a try this weekend! I love riding in stealth mode but it sucks not having ANY LIGHT!!! Anyone else have experience with this problem or a similiar one?
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
jaredg16
Registered Member

Default Re: No Instrument Panel Lights

I'm having a similar problem with my 2003 Mustang. My instrument cluster lights won't come on when I turn on my lights. I can move the switch to turn the interior top lamp on but I still get nothing out of the instrument cluster. The headlights work, and when I turn on my bright beams, the little blue "bright light" indicator on the instrument panel comes on; When my blinkers are on, the blinker lights on the instrument panel function; and all of the warning lights ("check engine", "brake", "ABS", "seat belt","low fuel", etc) function properly. It also includes the lights on the heat/AC switches, which I assume are on the same circuit.

I checked all of the fuses under the steering column for the instrument clusters as well as the relay fuses in the power distribution box under the hood and all of the fuses are perfectly fine... no blown fuses at all. This leads me to think that it would be the headlight switch; however I am unsure of how to properly remove the headlight switch to test it.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

Jared G.
Baton Rouge, LA
jaredg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
jaredg16
Registered Member

Okay... so I figured out what my problem was. After many many hours I noticed that I had connected the wrong wire from my new receiver. I had an "illumination" wire coming from the receiver that I connected to BOTH the illumination wire from my car AS WELL AS the illumination dimmer wire. Every time I turned power on it was blowing a fuse I overlooked that was for "adjustable illumination". So once I removed the connection for the illumination dimmer wire and taped it off solo (and of course replaced the burned fuse) my instrument panel is lit up like a christmas tree.

Problem solved! WOOHOO!
jaredg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:09 AM   #7
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredg16 View Post
Okay... so I figured out what my problem was. After many many hours I noticed that I had connected the wrong wire from my new receiver. I had an "illumination" wire coming from the receiver that I connected to BOTH the illumination wire from my car AS WELL AS the illumination dimmer wire. Every time I turned power on it was blowing a fuse I overlooked that was for "adjustable illumination". So once I removed the connection for the illumination dimmer wire and taped it off solo (and of course replaced the burned fuse) my instrument panel is lit up like a christmas tree.

Problem solved! WOOHOO!
Hahaha, when in doubt, it's probably the last part you installed
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
exgmguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit 5302 View Post
Hahaha, when in doubt, it's probably the last part you installed

Most definitely.

1989 Mustang notchback
Warmed up 306 with a Procharger.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:10 PM   #9
goodyear1984
Registered Member

people do this all the time
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote