MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-04-2002, 10:18 AM   #1
FiveORookie
Registered Member

Default No Spark !!!! Need Help !!!!

First and foremost I would like to introduce myself as the proud new owner of an '87 Mustang LX 5.0 speed. I bought the car of a little old man and its pretty much stock but in great mechanical condition for a 15 year old car.

Second, here comes my problem. I was changing the wires, cap, rotor, oil on the Stang and I decided to take the fijlter hose to look into the throttle body. I noticed it was dirty so after I changed the wires and plugs I decided to spray some brakes part cleaner down the throttle body to clean out the 1/4 layer of dirt that was present.( done it before to other cars and worked fine) Cranked on the car it started throwing out white smoke, which was normal for the cleaner that I used I revved the engine between 2000 and 3000 rpms hoping to get all the crap out of it and then the car turned off. I attempted to start it again but the engine turned but wouldn't start. I am not getting an spark to the plugs. The coil checked out fine when I checked the resistance. I changed the ignition module and still nothing. I think I might have fried a sensor of some sort. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

FiveORookie
FiveORookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 07:04 PM   #2
PKRWUD

There is nothing that you could have damaged by spraying brake cleaner into your TB, that would kill your spark.

Turn the key on, but do not try to start the engine. Attach the leads from a DMM to the battery neg cable and the pos post of the coil. Set to the 20 scale in DC volts. What does the DMM read?

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 05:34 PM   #3
FiveORookie
Registered Member

ok did that and the volt meter reads 11.99 volts. I'm going to try and hit my distributor with cleaner hoping that maybe some moisture got in there. But I honestly don't know. If that doesn't work my friend is going to lend me a Hypertech programmed computer to see if maybe I fried my computer. It really has me frustrated I've only had the car since wednesday. What else do you think it could be???
FiveORookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 09:45 PM   #4
Ron86GT
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Hi,
I had the same problem 2 months ago. I too wasn't getting any spark. The car just turned over with fuel. I just like you changed the tfi module, but that didn't help. I then knew if it wasn't the tfi module, then the only other part left is the pickup or stator in the distributor itself, which sends the pulse to the coil to fire. I ended up replacing the whole distributor with an MSD Billet EFI, then it fired right up. So far, so good. If I was you, to save money and to make sure it is the distributor which is the problem, borrow another distributor from a buddy and see if your car will fire right up with it.

Ron
Ron86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 12:13 AM   #5
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by FiveORookie
ok did that and the volt meter reads 11.99 volts. I'm going to try and hit my distributor with cleaner hoping that maybe some moisture got in there. But I honestly don't know. If that doesn't work my friend is going to lend me a Hypertech programmed computer to see if maybe I fried my computer. It really has me frustrated I've only had the car since wednesday. What else do you think it could be???
Okay, next hook up a 12 volt test light with the aligator clip to the neg. coil terminal, and the tip to the pos bat post, and crank the engine. Does the light stay lit, or does it pulse?

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote