MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-11-2002, 08:32 PM   #1
Flamed95stang
Registered Member

Default noise in rear

Ok fellas here we go, I installed a set of D&D adjustable upper rear controll arms and now sometimes when I go over bumps I get this rattling/clunking noise. At first I thought it was the upper part of the controll arm moving and smacking a bolt that was too small for the hole, wrong. Next thing I did was crank the bolts down hard, I actually broke a socket doing this, still there. Next I checked the exhaust pipes for smacking on the car, found a few spots and fixed those up nicely, noise is still there. Next was tighten all brackets in the back and check for cracked or pulling away torque boxes, all look good and all brackets have been retightened, noise still there. Im at a loss on this one, im starting to think that its the shocks or u-joints but I want some oppinions here, so thanks in advance.

**MODERATOR AT WWW.COLORADOSTANGS.COM**

Cobra upper and lower intake, bbk 70mm throttle bodie, mac cold air kit,
bbk/walbro 190lph fuel pump, pro m 75mm bullet mass air meter, jet computer chip, bbk lowering springs (1.5"), D&D adjustable upper rear controll arms, Indexed spark plugs,
gripp caster/camber plates, under drive pullys, msd 6al ignition, msd blaster coil, taylor 10.5mm plug wires, bassani exhaust with an x, saleen ceramic headers, 3:73 gears, E-303 cam,1.6 roller rockers, aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator, cobra r clutch, 180 thermostat, manual fan on/off switch (high), msd shift light, autometer volt, water and air/fuel carbon fiber, everything inside car, white faced guages, hurst pro 5.0 shifter,
Pro-M Remote Optimizer
And finally a new trans so now I can race again
Next up, some suspension work.

**Working on traction issue**

1/4 mile- 14.85@91mph at 5800ft above sea level
60'- 2.12
1/8 mile 9.52@72mph
Just some fyi, my times would be about this at sea level:
1/4 mile- 13.6
60'-1.8 or 1.7
1/8 mile- 8.2
Flamed95stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 08:35 PM   #2
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

I had a rattle toward the rear of my car for the longest. Turned out one of my shocks was loose. It still has a small noise coming from it because the shock is bad but not close to as loud as it was. Just a shot.

Good Luck, James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
90'5.0 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 08:38 PM   #3
Flamed95stang
Registered Member

Thanks, but I guess I forgot to mention all shocks are tight and are only about 1.5-2 years old. Thanks for the idea 90'5.0 conv, keep em comin.

bbk/walbro 190lph fuel pump, pro m 75mm bullet mass air meter, jet computer chip, bbk lowering springs (1.5"), D&D adjustable upper rear controll arms, Indexed spark plugs,
gripp caster/camber plates, under drive pullys, msd 6al ignition, msd blaster coil, taylor 10.5mm plug wires, bassani exhaust with an x, saleen ceramic headers, 3:73 gears, E-303 cam,1.6 roller rockers, aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator, cobra r clutch, 180 thermostat, manual fan on/off switch (high), msd shift light, autometer volt, water and air/fuel carbon fiber, everything inside car, white faced guages, hurst pro 5.0 shifter,
Pro-M Remote Optimizer

60'- 2.12
1/8 mile 9.52@72mph
1/4 mile- 13.6
60'-1.8 or 1.7
1/8 mile- 8.2
Old 06-12-2002, 12:11 AM   #4
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Im assuming you probably checked it but maybe the drive shaft bolts are loose. I know mine always have a tendency to come loose so i loc-tited them all.
Otherwise it could be the universal joints, or even the rear end itself.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:13 PM   #5
gtsr515
Registered Member

Well, it's obvious to me it's with the new uppers, just installed 'em right, now you got a noise?, being adjustable, maybe there is some binding going on, how and what did you determine was the "correct" adjustment, i believe you need track time, fine tuning of pinion angles and such, but for craps and giggles, buy a can of Silicone lube and lube the snot out of the mounting bolts areas, also you said you torqued the bolts to the point of cracking a socket, this sounds too tight to me, might want to loosen and re-torque these areas, also take that Silicone and lube EVERYTHING back there and go for a test-beat and see what happens. Never know could be a sqeaky rubber exhaust hanger or something "odd" like that ya know?

Flywheel tight???????????
Old 06-12-2002, 07:29 PM   #6
Flamed95stang
Registered Member

Ok, driveshaft bolts are tight, as for the rear end I am not that concerned with that cause the guy that did it warrentys it all for life, so I can take it to him tomarrow and see what he thinks. gtsr515, the reason I got the double adjustables is to eliminate all binding, next is the mega bite jr's to eliminate all binding there also, but the reason I cranked the bolts so hard is it sounded like they were loose and floping around, I did go back later and loosen them some, as for spraying silicon lube there I will give that a shot tomarrow also, thanks for the ideas, keep em comin.

Pro-M Remote Optimizer

60'- 2.12
1/8 mile 9.52@72mph
1/4 mile- 13.6
60'-1.8 or 1.7
1/8 mile- 8.2
Old 06-13-2002, 07:46 PM   #7
Flamed95stang
Registered Member

well, I finally gave up on those controll arms. I took em off and put the stock ones back on, and wow, imagine that, no more noise. So if anyone wants them they are D&D double abjustable upper rear controll arms, the heavy duty style with no bushings. Drop me a line at www.rickmazurek@hotmail.com

Pro-M Remote Optimizer

60'- 2.12
1/8 mile 9.52@72mph
1/4 mile- 13.6
60'-1.8 or 1.7
1/8 mile- 8.2