MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-26-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default nomex or proban fire jacket?

I'm trying to figure out the difference between the proban and nomex material in the fire retardant jackets.
I'm going to order one soon since I'm planning on running nitrous next year. Which is better? They both meet the same SFI 3.2A/1 standards. The nomex is a little more than the proban material.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Re: nomex or proban fire jacket?

I'm betting that these are competing brands of the same fire retardent material. If they both meet the same standards, then I would assume that they are both comparable in safety from fire.

Do you really feel that adding nitrous will increase the likelyhood of fire that much?

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
Do you really feel that adding nitrous will increase the likelyhood of fire that much?

Rev
Actually, the new rule is that if you run nitrous you MUST wear, at least, an SFI approved fire jacket.
I'm also going to get a small fire extinguisher and mount inside somewhere.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:30 PM   #4
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

I consider you guys on this forum to be my friends, so I'm gonna let you on a little insider information.

I'm a PROFESSIONAL firefighter, I have been for 17 years. I've literally seen people burned to death in their own homes. It's NOT pretty. Let alone guys like us doing what we like to do on the weekends, suffering the same fate.

Why would you take that risk?

NHRA rules specifiy that you need XXXX for YYYY ET/MPH, etc etc. I'm throwin the bullshyt flag. If you run 13 seconds, and hit the wall and burst into flames, is it gonna hurt less than if you hit the wall at 10 seconds? NO!

IMHO, there is NO room to "sacrafice" cashola on your ass. Sure, it has a crack in it from the factory, but why make it worse?

Guys, BOTTOM LINE IS THIS: Spend the bucks, go for the good stuff, wear it before you "need" to according to the rules, and see your buddy's at the track the week after. Plain and simple guys. I really really really don't want to see ANYONE get hurt in the pursuit of speed, and there really is no reason to. The safety equipment is out there, USE it!

Now, that being said......., LOL

"ProBan" is a brand name for the same product as DuPont's "Nomex", which is also a brand name. YES! Nomex, is a BRAND NAME. It's good stuff, FO SHO! But it's a brand name.

FYI: When I walk into a structure fire, most of my stuff is made of Kevlar. Which is also a brand name!

I really don't care what you guys wear. But wear SOMETHING. Put a fire extinguisher in the car. Wear an approved helmet. Wear a DATED harnesses. Gloves, shoes, coat, pants. Even the single layer stuff. WEAR IT!

Even if the rules don't say you "have to", WEAR IT. OK?

It's YOUR azz, take care of it!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:56 PM   #5
DaLe five OH!
Registered Member

i feel loved ...good advice, i'll remember this next time i go to the track
DaLe five OH! is offline   Reply With Quote