MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-22-2005, 06:11 PM   #1
StockRustang
Registered Member

Default calling all the Go Fast guys from this board...help needed

im doing this stock bottom end buildup, i did what i needed to do with putting a high volume oil pump in it, and other misc stuff to strengthen it. i have a performer RPM Airgap which will be port matched to my heads, had a box stock holley 750DP i bought a Proform race 750 body for it, and im right back to being stuck at the cylinder heads...

i had my mind made up on AFR Non Emission 185's...
untill my dad brought up the Jegs 2.02 aluminum heads and how i can run up to like a .550 lift cam on stock piston notches....

im thinking ican run an E303 or similar with the AFR's and make more power than iwould with the jegs cam and a slightly bigger cam..

so what do i do? go with the AFR's (which i know will make TONS of power) with an E303 cam (or similar)
or go with the Jegs heads and match it with a bigger cam....??????????
85 GT-currently: 8.8 with 4.10 and richmond spool, 31spline strange axles, Ties, GMS rear controll arms, stock rear springs, 50/50's, 90/10's up front with 4cyl springs, PA K-member and A-arms, and a motor i still cant decide what to do with.
StockRustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
fiveOguy20
Registered Member

Default Re: calling all the Go Fast guys from this board...help needed

i think it all depends on how fast you are looking to go. both combos will be good for 12's or faster it sounds like. just depends on if u wanna race only car or a street driven car. thats where i would start.

best ET: 11.95 @113 1.64 60 foots
fiveOguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:41 AM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Go with the AFR 185's. If I remember right the Jegs heads are too big for a 6000 rpm 302 you would have no low end torque.

Just for the record I have the E-cam and I hate it. You would be better off with a trick flow stage 1 or 2 cam.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:54 AM   #4
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_5.0
Go with the AFR 185's. If I remember right the Jegs heads are too big for a 6000 rpm 302 you would have no low end torque.

Just for the record I have the E-cam and I hate it. You would be better off with a trick flow stage 1 or 2 cam.

what he said

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:36 PM   #5
StockRustang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveOguy20
i think it all depends on how fast you are looking to go. both combos will be good for 12's or faster it sounds like. just depends on if u wanna race only car or a street driven car. thats where i would start.
its a weekend cruiser. my dad will be doing the tuning, he cruises his 71 vega on the street every weekend and it was a 9.8 car on motor. just wanna go as fast as possible. the car will probly only be around 2900lbs with driver in it.
85 GT-currently: 8.8 with 4.10 and richmond spool, 31spline strange axles, Ties, GMS rear controll arms, stock rear springs, 50/50's, 90/10's up front with 4cyl springs, PA K-member and A-arms, and a motor i still cant decide what to do with.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:38 PM   #6
StockRustang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_5.0

ill keep that in mind.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:52 PM   #7
StockRustang
Registered Member

ok i decided to go with the afr's and as far as the cam goes im gonna go with a custom grind, a little costly but u do what u gota do to go fast.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:02 AM   #8
Jeff Chambers

Get a set of Stage I ported Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads from somebody like TEA or Fox Lake and you'll go faster with that custom cam than you will with AFRs. AFRs really have pretty poor flow numbers compared to a mildly ported set of TW heads. AFR has had some quality issues in the past before too. In the heads up class racing like S/W or P/S, you'll see more TW and Brodix heads than you will AFRs. Says something about the heads IMHO.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 09:39 PM   #9
StockRustang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Chambers
Get a set of Stage I ported Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads from somebody like TEA or Fox Lake and you'll go faster with that custom cam than you will with AFRs. AFRs really have pretty poor flow numbers compared to a mildly ported set of TW heads. AFR has had some quality issues in the past before too. In the heads up class racing like S/W or P/S, you'll see more TW and Brodix heads than you will AFRs. Says something about the heads IMHO.
all i ever hear about is how afr's are the best. guess i need to do some more research, ill put the twisted wedge into consideration.
a friend of my step dads is in the nmra Hot Street class, i told him i wanted to get a custom grind from anderson...he told me its not worth it. what are your opinions on a custom grind vs an off the shelf cam on combo like mine?
thanks for the info.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:59 AM   #10
Jeff Chambers

Worth every penny. Since you're adding better flowing heads and intake, a good cam will be able to make use of that extra breathing capability. I've run custom cams from Anderson, FTI, Bennet and Cam Motions. By far I've had better luck with the Anderson and Cam Motion cams. You'll get as much bolt-in horsepower increase from a custom cam as you will from bolting the heads and intake on.
CRT Performance

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Old 02-01-2005, 10:12 PM   #11
StockRustang
Registered Member

Quote:
Worth every penny. Since you're adding better flowing heads and intake, a good cam will be able to make use of that extra breathing capability. I've run custom cams from Anderson, FTI, Bennet and Cam Motions. By far I've had better luck with the Anderson and Cam Motion cams. You'll get as much bolt-in horsepower increase from a custom cam as you will from bolting the heads and intake on.
thanks for all the advice, i'v made up my mind and when i get my tax check im gonna be giving anderson a call. i checked out the heads from fox lake, i'll be talking to them soon as well.

a little bit of good news i'll throw in, i took the time to clean the carbon off of my pistons, i knew that motor was a recent rebuild but what i found when i cleaned it was that every piston said .040 on it. so thats pretty cool.

once i make some more progress i'll start posting up pics, and hopefully by june i can have this thing on the street.
once again thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:08 PM   #12
USMC302
Registered Member

Speaking of TW heads, my 302 with TW heads and the Trickflow stage 1 was good for 12.20's, moved onto ported heads and stage 2 now.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:31 AM   #13
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Quote:
Absolutely! My Cam Motion cam is on the way even as we speak. My new Canfield head's showed up yesterday too. Cam Motion wanted to know EVERYTHING about my combination, just to build an awesome cam for me. Dollar for dollar, custom cam is the only way to fly!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:59 PM   #14
StockRustang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC302
Speaking of TW heads, my 302 with TW heads and the Trickflow stage 1 was good for 12.20's, moved onto ported heads and stage 2 now.
no kidding?
how much did the car weigh? was it EFI or carb?
Old 02-07-2005, 02:07 AM   #15
smokedchevy
Registered Member

A little off topic, but going back to your high volume oil pump. Do you have threaded oil gallery plugs? I put a high volume oil pump in my 302 and eventually it pushed out the oil gallery plug above the cam. I called my engine builder and he said a stock oil pump is more than adequate for a small block Ford and that the high volume pumps tend to pop the oil plugs out. I had to tap the oil gallery bosses and use threaded oil plugs. Just an FYI since your engine is still out.
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters

65 Mustang 13.50 107mph 3000' ALt.

65 Falcon Straight Axle Drag Car
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 02:40 AM   #16
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

agreed, my high volume pump did that too. I'll never run one again.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:19 PM   #17
StockRustang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedchevy
A little off topic, but going back to your high volume oil pump. Do you have threaded oil gallery plugs? I put a high volume oil pump in my 302 and eventually it pushed out the oil gallery plug above the cam. I called my engine builder and he said a stock oil pump is more than adequate for a small block Ford and that the high volume pumps tend to pop the oil plugs out. I had to tap the oil gallery bosses and use threaded oil plugs. Just an FYI since your engine is still out.
u know what i honestly couldnt tell you. my dad actually took the old pump out and we have yet to put the new one in. i'll have to ask him about that tomaro. thanks for the warning.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:14 AM   #18
smokedchevy
Registered Member

no problem, just trying to save you from some grief down the line. When mine popped out it rattled around in the timing cover and sounded like a busted rod. I ended up tearing the whole engine down for a stupid 10 cent plug.
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters

65 Mustang 13.50 107mph 3000' ALt.

65 Falcon Straight Axle Drag Car
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:03 AM   #19
Jeff Chambers

We never put an engine together withoug tapping the oiling circuit for NPT plugs. Just one of those little things, but there's nothing worse than starting a new engine to find that its got no oil pressure because it popped a plug.

BTW: I run a standard volume pump, even in my 8500rpm Street Warrior engine.
CRT Performance