MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-04-2002, 01:37 PM   #1
OUTPLAYN
Registered Member

Default NOS Question

What size kit can I use on a stock motor? WET or DRY? HP levels?

I have a 92lx and want to spary it!!

92 Lx w/auto "stock"
95 CBR900rr "coming out of mothballs"
OUTPLAYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:41 PM   #2
PKRWUD

Depends on the engine condition. If all is well, you use a 75 hp kit with no worries, and a 150 kit more than likely. I would only go with a dry kit for you.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 02:15 PM   #3
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

I would perform a compression test before adding nitrous.
Old 07-04-2002, 02:37 PM   #4
OUTPLAYN
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ieatcamaros
I would perform a compression test before adding nitrous.
And if all is good?

92 Lx w/auto "stock"
95 CBR900rr "coming out of mothballs"
OUTPLAYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 02:44 PM   #5
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

I prefer a wet kit for the "kick-in-the-pants" feeling among other reasons... I sprayed a 150hp Nitrous Express single nozzle kit on a stock bottom end with every imaginable bolt-on w/ results in my signature on my old combo.

Get some head gaskets w/ whatever "kit" you should choose

Also, I recommend you get a bottle heater, fuel/nitrous pressure gauges, adj fuel pressure reg., purge valve, some Autolite racing plugs gapped at .035, and a fuel pressure safety switch aka Hobbs switch to get the most from your system of choice.

start small on your jetting to get a feel for what you're doing if you should get an adj. kit

Dry kits are safer than and don't kick quite as hard as a wet kit... ultimately it's up to you to decide

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 04:28 PM   #6
Stang Runner
Registered Member

I am all most done with my Install of the NOS dry 75 kit to hot to work out there... hehe here is a few Pics of it. NOS Install
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 05:28 PM   #7
91GTturbo
Registered Member

In the past I would have said the dry kits were the best for a fuel injected car, but with the wet kits now that have the plate you put between the upper and lower intake, thats the way to go in my opinion. That would be a really instant hit compared to the dry kits out there.
Old 07-04-2002, 07:34 PM   #8
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

Quote:
Originally posted by 91GTturbo
In the past I would have said the dry kits were the best for a fuel injected car, but with the wet kits now that have the plate you put between the upper and lower intake, thats the way to go in my opinion. That would be a really instant hit compared to the dry kits out there.

...and that's a BIG HELL YEAH! I agree

If you want to start with a 150 shot then get the NOS big shot plate system, otherwise, I you want a good 50-150 kit I recommend the NX single nozzle kit for the best hit!

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 04:15 PM   #9
homeroV8
Registered Member

Whatīs the diference between dry kits and wet kits? Itīll be most probably my next mod, and itīs time for start studying...
FMS 3:73, GT40P mildly ported and polished heads, MAC p-headers, roller rockers, mildly ported and polished cobra intake, XE270 comp cam, 65mm Tb, 77mm Pro-M.
homeroV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 04:33 PM   #10
PKRWUD

A dry kit add's nitrous only to the intake manifold, and allows the injectors to take care of the fuel. A wet kit ads both nitrous and gasoline to the intake. The danger here is that with a wet kit, for the first time, you are making the intake manifold explosive. If, when you use your nitrous, your timing is off a hair, or your valves float, or aren't adjusted properly, or if an intake valve hangs open for any reason, you can blow the intake right off the engine. Usually, it only destroys the throttle body and the mass air, but I've seen hoods get blown off from the damage.

Nitrous oxide by itself is not flammable, so a dry kit is safer, especially for the nitrous rookie. But, a wet kit has a bigger punch.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-05-2002, 06:00 PM   #11
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
A dry kit add's nitrous only to the intake manifold, and allows the injectors to take care of the fuel. A wet kit ads both nitrous and gasoline to the intake. The danger here is that with a wet kit, for the first time, you are making the intake manifold explosive. If, when you use your nitrous, your timing is off a hair, or your valves float, or aren't adjusted properly, or if an intake valve hangs open for any reason, you can blow the intake right off the engine. Usually, it only destroys the throttle body and the mass air, but I've seen hoods get blown off from the damage.

Nitrous oxide by itself is not flammable, so a dry kit is safer, especially for the nitrous rookie. But, a wet kit has a bigger punch.

Take care,
-Chris
With the old wet setup being plumbed in around the TB I can and have seen how the nitrous can puddle in the upper intake runners. With the new kits designed to bypass the upper intake, it stands to elimanate any puddling, correct? I agree you do have to make the necessary changes with your tune (i.e; timing, colder plugs), but the same could be said about the valves even on a dry kit, right or wrong ? If those changes are made, I can't see how you could go wrong with the new wet systems, unless you try and go to big with the pills?

Most everyone around here that runs nitrous and is some what serious about it runs a carb/nitrous setup anyway. They always runs pretty well and the hit is so much harder and more instantaneous, I just figured the new wet setups for fuel injected cars would have elimanated most of the old issues if properly tuned since they are more like a carb setup now.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:40 PM   #12
PKRWUD

A wet system that injects between the upper and lower is certainly safer than one that injects by the TB, but it's still more dangerous than a dry system. You are still creating an explosive mixture in an area that was never designed for one. If the tuner is good, and knows what he's doing, then a wet system is great, but for a rookie, I always recommend a dry system.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-05-2002, 08:35 PM   #13
chris91LX
Registered Member

I've heard good things about the Zex kit. It's supposed to be just about idiot proof. It's a dry kit and works off the TPS so the nitrous wont hit unless you are at WOT. Supposed to be good for a 75-125hp shot.
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote