MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-23-2003, 05:35 PM   #1
SheStang87
Registered Member

Exclamation Idle too high, Popping thru intake still . . .

I am having some major issues with my '87 GT. She still is popping thru the intake, this happens immediatly after she feels like she is missing and struggles to spin up RPM's. My idle is way too high now also! For the life of me I can't figure her out! People are refusing to hook her up to any computer reading system for the fact that my engine light is not on.
Here is what I have done so far . . .
I have checked my timing, fuel pressure, Changed my plug, wires, rotor, cap, distributer, throttle position Sensor, EGR valve, idle air control valve, did a compression test(all is good), pulled upper and lower intakes(changed gasket in case of vacuum leak), checked my timing chain and still have no change. I have a map sensor on it's way.
What do you guys think ? Maybe I need injectors? New computer? I am running out of ideas. I am still learning about these cars, what about other sensors that could be causing all this mess? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks a lot,
Christina
SheStang87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:12 PM   #2
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

what is your fuel pressure at? What do you plugs look like? I have had great amounts of problems with my car.. Turned out it was a bad ground to my distributor. Try running a heavy gauge wire to the distributor hold down bolt. see if it goes away, if it does change your engine grounds and negative battery wiring. although if your TFI and pick up coil are toast already from a bad ground you'll have to replace them first. then do the ground.
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:18 PM   #3
SheStang87
Registered Member

Let's see . . . fuel pressure is set at 42, where it has been for over a year now. My plugs are clean, not carboned up and not too white. I have never checked my grounds, I guess I'll attempt that one tomorrow. Thanks for the help, keep the suggestions coming!
Christina
SheStang87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:32 PM   #4
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

sounds exactly like my car... If i was you, spend the money and get a new distributor, and TFI module and then get a battery cable with fish eye connects on both ends and ground the hold down bolt. make sure you sand the bolt and hold down bracket down and get them clean. I would bet my car on it fixing your issues.
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote