MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-31-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
byrnech
Registered Member

Default o2 sensor harness got ripped out

Ok, I had my oxygen sensor harness ripped out by bad road conditions. I drove it around for about a week and a half without the o2's hooked up and other than a cold start issue it ran fine, a little low on power and the check engine light would come on after about 10-20 miles. I got a new/used harness on ebay and hooked it up with the battery disconnected and let the computer reset. After about 30 min I hooked up the battery and started it up and it runs like crap now. The check engine light comes on right at start up and it bucks and pops at 1/8-1/4 throttle. At half to full throttle it runs great. I bought a cheap little code scanner and I am getting no codes, not even a 11 to tell me everything is ok. I did check my TPS and it is at 2.8v at idle KOEO and 4.46 WOT. What would cause this high reading other than just a bad TPS? I find it hard to believe that the TPS would just go out like that, though I am not ruling it out. I also noticed that the prongs on the scanner don't line up with the ones in the OBD port. I moved one of them so that they would all hook up and when I run the test there are still no codes, but it runs the fuel pump and it sounds like the injectors are all open and dumping fuel. I will attach pictures of what I am talking about. My milage after the harness was hooked up is cut in half now also. The paint drawing represents the OBD port and the blue is where the connectors are, red has no connectors, and the black line shows where I moved one of the connectors so that they would all connect to the code scanner. Any ideas would be helpful. Right now I am thinking TPS, Mass Air element, o2 sensors, computer, spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump relay. I am going to start with the cheap stuff first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diag port.JPG (62.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: bmp paint.bmp (106.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
byrnech
Registered Member

Default Re: o2 sensor harness got ripped out

Got it figured out, long story short don't use a AOD oxygen sensor harness on a 5 spd car or vise versa. It will fry your computer. You have to make sure the pin connectors are in the same place. You can fix it though if it isn't too bad, I used the trick DRUDIS did in one of his posts. -Chris