MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-06-2002, 03:14 PM   #1
Mopar1
Registered Member

Default Observations from a Mopar Guy

Been downloading all the vids I can that show street/strip mustangs in the initial launch off the line. Notice a lot of wheel spin even from ones that have only a few mods. Is this just the suspension system that they have or is it that people are not paying proper attention to a very critical area.

Example: Once I had the HP package,the drivetrain, and HP to weight ratio(i.e lightining up the chassis) done on the Duster, I spent most of the time tuning the carb (i.e. no lag off the line etc.) and getting the horsepower to the pavement (i.e. rear leaf spring suspension). Granted it took some time and frustration, but it paid off big time. I beat cars with more HP because they only paid attention to the motor. I'm talking about street/strip cars here not dedicated strip cars.

Just a curiosity and I'm not bashing anyone. When I read or hear on this forum, ls1.com, and others telling people "to pedal it off the line", I raise an eyebrow and wonder if enough attention is being paid to the suspension. If you got to pedal it to get it to hook, that tells me you are neglecting that all important area.

Are the observations correct or am I out dated. lol

cheers all

BTW if you havent seen that vid " LS1 kill " in the street racers thread, go watch it. from what i could see he hooked up rather well. from what i could see
'77 Aspen R/T: 318 w/273 heads, 4spd, Hurst Shifter, 600 holley, edelbrock intake, 8 3/4 axle, 3.23 sure-grip, dual 3" exhaust, MP cam 276 / 276 duration 490 / 490 mech solid lifter, Super Stock Springs
(15.65@88 3900lbs)

'91 Mustang LX: .030 Bored, Typhoon Intake, 4.10's, Lentech VB, BBK 70mm TB, FMS A/C elim bracket, 19lbs inject, off road H-pipe, 75mm pro-m MAF, FRP unequal shorty, stormin normin hood.

3420 Lbs w/ 220 (me) and 13 gal gas.

'02 SS Camaro
Mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 05:15 PM   #2
PKRWUD

Ahhhh, you have found one of the biggest problems, IMO, with the Mustang. It is no Plymouth Duster. One of my very favorite features of the Duster/Demon's was the narrow rear axle/huge fenderwells. You could tuck L-60's in there without any modifications. Mustangs are not the same, and require a little bit more effort to get the tires to grab. I'm afraid other then welding the subs together, I can't be of much help to you, as I am primarly an engine guy, but there are several here who could guide you in the right direction, including the big man himself, Dan.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 05:24 PM   #3
Mopar1
Registered Member

Thanx for the replies to my e-mails on the 91 LX. Once I get the HP package I want for this LX I will work on the suspension. I am learning and relearning things everyday.
'77 Aspen R/T: 318 w/273 heads, 4spd, Hurst Shifter, 600 holley, edelbrock intake, 8 3/4 axle, 3.23 sure-grip, dual 3" exhaust, MP cam 276 / 276 duration 490 / 490 mech solid lifter, Super Stock Springs
(15.65@88 3900lbs)

'91 Mustang LX: .030 Bored, Typhoon Intake, 4.10's, Lentech VB, BBK 70mm TB, FMS A/C elim bracket, 19lbs inject, off road H-pipe, 75mm pro-m MAF, FRP unequal shorty, stormin normin hood.

3420 Lbs w/ 220 (me) and 13 gal gas.

'02 SS Camaro
Mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 06:48 PM   #4
Dark Knight
Registered Member

actually, the mustang suspension works very well...thats why people are running 9's on drag radials.. all it really takes is some good control arms and losing the front sway bar... it's basically the same as a 4-link.. adjustable control arms will let you set it up to launch hard.. 1.50 60ft times are pretty easy to get with some decent power :-)
13.58@102.84 and a '68 stang .. project 8 sec street car... 557 big block + N20 :-)
http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 08:00 PM   #5
Stroked408
Registered Member

Thumbs up Agree

Yeah it is a lot of things it takes to get the short-wheelbase Mustang to hook.

You bring up valid points but also there are Mustangs with 10 inch wide tires doing "4 In-The-Air-Bumperdrags".

Some tracks hook better than others and you have to adjust the suspension just right.

There are a number of good companies out there that make good lower control arms like Maximum Motorsports with their Mega-Bite Jr's,Mac,BBK and Southsides.

I totally agree with you there,seems a lot of Mustangers pay more attention under the hood than the whole package.

Launch Harder

Go Faster
Stroked408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 04:59 PM   #6
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

I managed a 1.401 60ft. with a little bit of tire spin off the line using a TRZ rear suspension setup... Anti-roll bar, solid lowers, adj. uppers... my point being that if you address the problems with the factory rear suspension then you can get the hook with a small tire (I run a 28x10 Goodyear slick on an 8" rim). I need to work on doing a better burnout thought... I might see a 1.3xx ...only got 10 passes in this year so far and hadn't been to the track in over a year before July 3rd (I'm a little rusty)

Like mentioned with the drag radial guys... look at SSO, most run in the low eights with Job Spetter Jr. running a 7.80 or 7.90 something a couple years ago on a true 10.5 tire and stock type suspension like I run (no ladder bars)

As far as the street goes... just borrow from the hardcore dragracers. I run the anti-roll bar on the street at times and hooked pretty good with 28x12.5 ET streets (10.5" tread width)

You shouldn't have too much of a problem hooking if you get some aftermarket pieces for the rear, IMHO ...without having to feather the throttle

One thing I noticed about the anti-roll bar setup is the more power you put to it, the more pre-load you need in the passenger side link to get a good, straight launch (otherwise it goes to the right a little... with the wheels up it can be a little scary )

You'll get it!!! (and so will I)

Good Luck

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 01:14 PM   #7
tarmon8r
Registered Member

ryan,

i am interested in getting an anti-roll bar for my combo. any suggestions and did you install the anti-roll bar in the frame under the car, cause i saw a guy at the track have his installed to the roll cage in the trunk, and extending down through his floorpan to his rear. just wondering you thoughts about them and anuy info would be helpful. which kind did you get? how hard were they to install, and do you have full exhaust over the axles and did you have any problems clearing the exhaust with your anti-roll bar. cause i heard it will clear " stock exhaust". i have a 3" exhaust over the axle. just trying to get the 411 on tthis ,

thanxs
1983 mustang, 393 cubic inch stroker small block, victor jr heads and intake, gold race 1.6 roller rockers. comp cam 304, 244@ .050. .576" hydralic retro roller cam,lunati rods. block was o-ringed,10:1 forged pistons, speed pro fit fit rings, clevite bearings,msd distributor and igniton,be cool huge radiator, black lite electric fan, march underdrive pulleys, mildon deep sump oil pan, mac 1 3.4" long tube headers, 3" dr gas x-pipe and mac exhaust,ARP bolts. car weighs 2900 lbs w/out driver, sub frames, weld wheels, mickey thompson sportsman pro 26 x 10.5 x 15's,#8 fuel line steel braided
tarmon8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 08:58 PM   #8
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

When most of us are talking about feathering it off the line it is because we are running 235/45 17's or something silly like that at the track. No matter how good the suspension is these things aren't going to hook. Most of us "feathering" it off the line need to buck up and buy a real set of tires for the track.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:04 AM   #9
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

tarmon ...I run a TRZ suspension (all rear components mentioned in previous post). I did the install... wasn't too bad really. You need a mig, a buble level, a tape measure, etc. etc.

Any rollbar that mounts to the framerails and has roller bearings is a good setup IMHO... HPM, Wolfe Racecraft, to name a couple. The TRZ anti-roll bar I use attaches to the floor pan and works pretty good so far.

As for exhaust... I do not run tailpipes and I'm not sure what anti-roll bar allows for 3" tp's if any even do. I'm going to run open headers next time I go to the dragstrip. I run the time in my sig through 2 1/2" Magnaflow mufflers with turn downs... gonna see what kinda difference it makes.

I recommend you do more internet research and what not to learn more about them, see some good pics of different brands and do a search on every major mustang forum on the 'net to see what you come up with for good/bad product reviews.

Good Luck!

red I hear ya! Once I finally made the move from street tires to slicks at the strip, I wondered why I even wasted my time on regular radial tires

Later

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote