MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-02-2002, 01:35 PM   #1
jpumpkinn
Registered Member

Default oil change help ASAP

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the proccess of changing my oil and ran into some trouble. This is the first time I have change the oil on my stang. When I try to take off the front drain plug it just seems to turn and not come out or tighten? My guess is that it had been stripped before and was not removed. My problem is since I disturbed the plug now I have a small oil leak and can't get the plug out. What should I do???
Old 02-02-2002, 02:10 PM   #2
RMARIANI
Registered Member

First you need to get the old plug out. I'm sure there are lots of ways to do this, but I'll tell you what worked for me. Get the tip of a flat head screw driver between the oil pan and the head of the plug (where the threads are). While prying the head out, use a wrench to unscrew the plug. This might take a bit of trial and error, but be patient, it will work. Then you need to go to a auto supply store and buy a new plug. I would bet that the pan threads are fine and just the plug stripped, but just in case, buy the correct plug as well as a slightly oversized thread-cutting plug. This type of plug (as it's name implies) cut new threads while sealing the drain hole. If the correct plug works, great, if not use the oversized one. Good luck and let me know if this helped.
RMARIANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 02:17 PM   #3
jpumpkinn
Registered Member

I will try that! I hope you are right! If I can't get it out I was thinking of spot welding the plug on just to seal it. Since there are two plugs I could still use the other to drain the oil. What do you think?
Old 02-02-2002, 02:21 PM   #4
Rog5.0
Registered Member

noooooo, don't ever do that, or you'll be in big trouble. there's a reason for 2 plugs and and both have to be drained, otherwise only half your oil will drain if you only drain 1 plug.

Rog
Old 02-02-2002, 02:33 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

There is very little oil contained in the front sump. I have never gotten more than a little out of it. Still, it's a good idea to make sure that drain plug is working properly, because you can still lose all your oil if it fails while driving. Think of it as saving your entire engine, and then the work involved doens't seem so great.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 02:41 PM   #6
jpumpkinn
Registered Member

Dude you are the best!! It came off using the method you posted you saved me tons of work. Thanks
Old 02-03-2002, 08:21 AM   #7
RMARIANI
Registered Member

Thanks for the update and I'm glad it worked out for you. I've gotten and given a ton of advice on this forum (gotten a lot more than I've given!!!) and I always try to update my posts to let everyone know how that particular problem worked out.
RMARIANI is offline   Reply With Quote