MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-28-2004, 07:21 AM   #1
mpj76
Registered Member

Default Oil dipstick tube replacement

While installing my new headers, my dipstick tube broke off at the point where it enters the block. How do you replace this? It looks like its going to be a major PIA. Also, how quickly will I lose oil? I still need to drive to work. It's a stock 1991 5.0. Are the tubes just pressed in? Maybe I can JB Weld a close fitting bolt or something into the remaining sleeve and then crank it out.

Last edited by mpj76; 10-28-2004 at 10:36 AM..
mpj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 07:01 PM   #2
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Default Re: Oil dipstick tube replacement

Is there any part of the old dipstick sticking out past the block? If so, you can put some vise grips on it and try to wiggle it out. The dipstick tube is pressed in the block. Of the top of my head, the only surefire method is to drop the pan and punch it out from the bottom. But you probably don't want to do that. BTW, you will lose a lot of oil. I would not drive it without plugging the hole.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:29 AM   #3
mpj76
Registered Member

I finally got it out. Nothing was sticking out of the block to grab on to. I found a bolt that had almost the same diameter as the inside of the tube. When I stuck it into the tube, the threads actually caught on the tapered portion inside the block. I was able to wrench the bolt in almost all the way. Then I got under the car and simply put a flathead screwdriver under the head of the bolt and tapped it out with a hammer. NOW....How do you press the new tube in? I tried to just push it on, but it won't give. I have a feeling there is a special tool similar to an AC or fuel line disconnector that cinches around in between the two little bumps on the new tube. Do you know how I can get this thing on?
Old 10-29-2004, 02:21 PM   #4
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Backwards to how you got it out. There should be a small lip on the tube, that'll be flush up against the block when it's installed. I've always taken either an open end wrench (tough to do in the car with exhaust on it) or a flathead screwdriver like you did, and just tap her on in there. I little "Indian Head" or similar will make sure she seals up good for you.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:01 PM   #5
82 GT
Import Slayer

I must not know my own strength then because I've always been able to press them into the block by hand and they've always stayed there.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 08:02 AM   #6
mpj76
Registered Member

It looks like the new one has a slightly larger diameter than the old one. The new tube is the chrome motorsport model. The guy at the speed shop also said he had to use a open wrench or screwdriver to tap it in. On the other hand, my neighbor who works at a different speed shop says that it should slip right in. Maybe I need to break out the dremmel tool.