MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Oil dipstick tube replacement (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=44606)

mpj76 10-28-2004 07:21 AM

Oil dipstick tube replacement

While installing my new headers, my dipstick tube broke off at the point where it enters the block. How do you replace this? It looks like its going to be a major PIA. Also, how quickly will I lose oil? I still need to drive to work. It's a stock 1991 5.0. Are the tubes just pressed in? Maybe I can JB Weld a close fitting bolt or something into the remaining sleeve and then crank it out.

Ieatcamaros 10-28-2004 07:01 PM

Re: Oil dipstick tube replacement

Is there any part of the old dipstick sticking out past the block? If so, you can put some vise grips on it and try to wiggle it out. The dipstick tube is pressed in the block. Of the top of my head, the only surefire method is to drop the pan and punch it out from the bottom. But you probably don't want to do that. BTW, you will lose a lot of oil. I would not drive it without plugging the hole.

mpj76 10-29-2004 07:29 AM

I finally got it out. Nothing was sticking out of the block to grab on to. I found a bolt that had almost the same diameter as the inside of the tube. When I stuck it into the tube, the threads actually caught on the tapered portion inside the block. I was able to wrench the bolt in almost all the way. Then I got under the car and simply put a flathead screwdriver under the head of the bolt and tapped it out with a hammer. NOW....How do you press the new tube in? I tried to just push it on, but it won't give. I have a feeling there is a special tool similar to an AC or fuel line disconnector that cinches around in between the two little bumps on the new tube. Do you know how I can get this thing on?

~The Jester~ 10-29-2004 02:21 PM

Backwards to how you got it out. There should be a small lip on the tube, that'll be flush up against the block when it's installed. I've always taken either an open end wrench (tough to do in the car with exhaust on it) or a flathead screwdriver like you did, and just tap her on in there. I little "Indian Head" or similar will make sure she seals up good for you.

82 GT 11-02-2004 11:01 PM

I must not know my own strength then because I've always been able to press them into the block by hand and they've always stayed there.

mpj76 11-03-2004 08:02 AM

It looks like the new one has a slightly larger diameter than the old one. The new tube is the chrome motorsport model. The guy at the speed shop also said he had to use a open wrench or screwdriver to tap it in. On the other hand, my neighbor who works at a different speed shop says that it should slip right in. Maybe I need to break out the dremmel tool.