MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-19-2001, 08:19 PM   #1
SCOTTLT79
Registered Member

Question Oil and Filter Preferences

I do oil changes for work while I'm in school. The guys I work with couldn't come to a conclusion as to what was the better filter. Some said K&N and some said Mobil1. We all think that the Mobil 1 oil is the best though. Just a little curious around oil change time.
Thanks guys

------------------
95 Red Mustang GT
Pro 5.0
Mostly stock(looking to modify)
SCOTTLT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 08:44 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

I've used Mobil 10-30 (non-synthetic) along with a Motorcraft filter every 2000 miles since I bought my Mustang new, 11 years ago.
I've used a K&N filter since day one, too.
A stock-box model for nine years, then I switched to a cold-air induction kit (Moroso) with the K&N conical filter in '99.
Both have worked well and although synthetic oil is superior, I find that frequent changes with petroleum-based oil have almost the same result; long and reliable engine life.
My 'Stang has 109,000 miles and runs beautifully with no oil-related problems.
My opinion is that a K&N (any style) is superior to a paper filter and - regular or synthetic - frequent oil & filter changes pay off.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 08:49 PM   #3
jeb
Registered Member

I run Castrol 20W50 with a motorcraft filter, and change every 2500mi. Been thinking of going to Syntec.

------------------
90LX Ragtop. Strut tower brace, K&N, 2.25'' Flowmasters, Hollow cats, Crank pulley, Crane 2031, Crane rockers, Holley FPR. Need Gears Bad!!!
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 04:22 AM   #4
Mustanguy

Cool

I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and use the K&N oil filter.

Now talking about the Mobil 1 filter,that is also a good filter as like the K&N filter,it also uses synthetic material for the construction of the filter inside.

------------------
Paxton Blown 87GT
Old 03-20-2001, 07:31 AM   #5
dinomite
The Dude

A lot of people have said that they like mobil 1. In a new engine, can I start it out on synthetic? I vaguely recall hearing something about running an engine on regular oil for a few thousand miles first, possibly to seat seals?
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 09:30 AM   #6
gentb
Registered Member

I'm certainly no expert but I was watching an automotive show on TNN a couple weeks ago and they had on of Castrol's engineers on. Castrol's guy said to break an engine in on regular oil befor swithching to Synthetic. I just fired up a new Motorsports 225hp 5.0 long block last week on Castrol 10w 30. On about the second oil change I'm going to Mobile 1 10w 30 synthetic
gentb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 10:19 AM   #7
82 GT
Import Slayer

I have always used Valvoline oil in my cars and Fram oil filters. When I tore any angine apart that I ran valvoline, the lifter gally was clean with no deposits.
I think Castro would be my second choice.
I am sure synthetic oil is better but never used any.

------------------
'82 GT 351W,BBK shorties,
Comp Cam,edelbrock intake
625 cfm carter carb. c-4 tranny w/ pro stick shifter. 4 core radiator
Mallory distributor. 3:27

82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 11:34 AM   #8
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

I use 10-30 (usually Valvoline) non-synthetic oil and Motorcraft or Purolator filters in all my vehicles.

------------------
'89LX5.0 - Original Owner
'94 E-150 Conversion Van
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 10:41 PM   #9
Bob
"Old School Gearhead"

I use Valvoline 10w30 with a Motorcraft filter. Valvoline's been in all of my cars over the years. (and that's a lot of both ) I've never had a problem due to the oil. Any time I've taken an engine apart for performance upgrades or whatever reason, they've always been clean and without deposits or sludge inside. Back in the '70's with the older muscle cars we always used 20-50 racing oil, but it was still Valvoline. Also I always change oil & filter every 2000 miles.

------------------
1985 Mustang GT

'85 GT 13.20 @ 105.8 / '72 Mach1
Long list...check website!!
My Website
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 12:17 AM   #10
84stang83zephyr

Me personally i go with the recommended 10W30 weight Mobil organic oil (standard) and any filter besides Fram (i've heard that they filter so good that it lowers pressure enough to open up the bypass in the filter), but that's just me. I religiously change every 3000 (max). I've heard that as far as synthetic oil goes Mobil 1 is the best you can buy (that's why stickers under the hoods of corvettes say use only Mobil 1 and same with vipers if i'm not mistaken) but for street use there's no "bad" synthetic oil. i know that Pennzoil organic oil used to suck, but they changed from a wax based oil to what they have now (imagine lifting off your valve cover and seeing a yellowish wax coating...yuck).

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 T5, FMS aluminum radiator & 180* thermostat, 1 5/8 shortys/2.5" duals, '88 GT tail lights and wheels, Holley 4160 4 BBL, smog pump idler, more coming soon