MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-24-2002, 07:38 PM   #1
scale
Registered Member

Default OIL for my new gears...

Here is a simple question

I had 373s put in to replace my stock gears in my 91 coupe. The gears drove me for about 500 - 700 miles....maybe less. The car has been sitting for quite a spell now and i was playing with the idea of popping off the cover, draining and filling back up.

I need to know what the best gear oil (weight and brand) to stick and and about how much i will need. I have red that some people use some purple something or other oil. I just can remember the name. Anyone have any recommendations for me?

Also, i poked my head under it and cant see the filler hole on the case cover ...i am assuming it is on top of the pumpkin. How much oil do i put in.........i dont want to over fill.

I am also going to be putting on a polished stock intake to replace my crusty old grey one. Anyone know where i can get good quality Gasket sets for the rear pumpkin and also my upper intake manifold?

I cant wait to get started...i am probably throwing on some new headers and maybe an h-pipe as well.
1991 LX coupe,AOD, red, 80k, K&N, MAC cat back, MAC off-road X, Autometer Gauges, BBK Ceramic unequals, fully polished upper intake, fuel rails, and egr, working on installing.....MM full length subs, H&R sport springs, MM Lower control arms, MM caster camber plates, bilstein shocks, struts.
scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 08:17 PM   #2
Tony Frank
Registered Member

If i were you i wouldnt put in a synthetic type oil in the rear, i tired that and when i was doing a burnout at the track the rear clutches were slipping and only one wheel was spinning, i talked to a rearend guy and he said it was because of the synthetic oil back there, so go with what was in it stock id say.

1985 Mustang GT 19,000 ORIGINAL miles, E-303 cam, edelbrock performer RPM intake, holley 600 cfm carb, MAC headers, windage tray, 8.8 rear end with 4.10 gears, 4"cowl hood, 5lug conversion, 04 Mach1 wheels.

http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?1501
Tony Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 01:52 AM   #3
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default Gear oil...

I use Red Line 75W90 synthetic gear oil. Never had a problem spinning both wheels. Guess it could if the trac loc needed a rebuild, but it wouldn't matter what type of oil you used. All you need for the diff cover is RTV sealant. I use the orange RTV for the diff cover. The upper intake gasket can be found at most auto parts stores. I used the Fel-Pro and have re-used it several times with no problems.