MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-28-2003, 09:09 PM   #1
95/GT/5.0
Registered Member

Default Oil pump Question

If a high volume oil pump is used,should you replace the pick up tube (longer) and use a high capacity oil pan (7 or 8 quart).I was told if you use a high volume oil pump with oem pick up an pan.You would take a chance on the pump sucking air.Is this true.Thanks Anthony (aka) 95/GT/5.0
Old 02-28-2003, 11:11 PM   #2
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

No

No

Can't say that Ive heard of either. The only thing I do is make sure the pickup is the right distance from the pan.

If your going to pull wheelies a bigger pan with the right baffles is recomended.
Old 03-01-2003, 01:48 AM   #3
Technick
Registered Member

If anything a high volume pump is a band-aid for improper clearances in the engine. If the engine is set up right, clearances on the crank, rods, pistons, rings, ect ect. then a STOCK volume pump works just fine. As long as you have 10 psi for every 1,000 rpm you will be fine. I have used a Stock volume cast iron (not aluminum) TRW, Melling, Perfect Circle ect. oil pump on 750 H.P. small block Ford that spin over 8,000 rpm and they work just fine if the clearances are set up right, the oil pan is right (use a Canton Pan) the pick-up is 1/2" to 5/8" off of the floor of the pan and the pick-up is 5/8" i.d. The reason for this is that the high volume pump eats up a good 15 H.P at 6,000 rpm and up compared to a stock volume pump. Dyno proven! Just pre-lube a engine with a high volume pump with a electric drill and then do the same with a "stock" pump. You would be amazed at the diference in torque required to spin the "high" volume pump.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:17 AM   #4
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

I have heard the same thing. High volume costs horsepower.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 11:22 PM   #5
95/GT/5.0
Registered Member

I wasn't aware of the HP robbing potential of a high volume oil pump.That's good to know for future reference. I ended up going with a stanard volume Ford original equip. oil pump from Ford and a stock dbl. hump oil pan,the one with two drain plugs,(the original pan was damaged)..It worked out great.Good fit and good oil press. 34 psi at a 700rpm idle.The whole problem with the low oil press. was revealed when we found the pick up tube was clogged (the screen).He say's he changes his oil every 3k and the engine and pan looked pretty clean for 98k miles.I don't know where the sludge on the pick-up came from.lol.Go figure.I forgot to mention,this is my buddy's 94/GT/5.0 w/ 98k miles on it,he is the 3rd owner.Thanks to all for the info. "Knowledge is Power" *********Anthony (aka) 95/GT/5.0
Old 03-04-2003, 12:24 AM   #6
Technick
Registered Member

Best guess on where all of the "sludge came from? 99% chance he is using Pennzoil! Have seen it to many times. That is one oi that you HAVE to be religious on when it comes to oil changes. You just CANNOT go past 3,000 miles between oil changes!
Old 03-04-2003, 08:24 PM   #7
93 Cobra needs input
Registered Member

Quick question to slip in here! If you don't mind losing the 10hp at 6,000rpm does the High Volume pump hurt anything?? The Moroso T-sump pan I'm using recomends a motorsport HV pump I have to much $$ and time into my motor to ruin it now! Thanks Guys
331 stroker, JE 8.5:1 pistons, H-beam rods, steel crank, main cap, msd with 3step, BBK ceramic long tubes,TKO, 4.30's, motorsport Z303, Victor Jr aluminum heads, crane gold 1.6, southside lift bars, 90/10 front, 50/50 rear, centerforce dual friction clutch, Vortech S-trim soon.
93 Cobra needs input is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 08:59 PM   #8
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

Something worth looking into http://www.precisionoilpumps.com

I will be purchasing a pump and billet drive from them for the combo I'm currently working on.

FWIW, I ran an out of the box Melling HV pump w/ my Moroso pan last year, without any complaints.

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 11:31 PM   #9
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

I've ran the Melling M-68HV pump in my engine for 3 years. Stock oil pickup, pan with a windage tray. I've never had a problem and never once did I ever have to worry about sucking the pan dry. Maybe if it were High Volume and High Pressure, but that's not needed unless you need to move more oil to something like a turbo/blower application.

They do rob some power higher up in the power band. Almost to the tune of 10hp at 6,000rpm. I've heard of it being higher. But that's not a lot to ask for cheap insurance. Before I forget, if you run a HV pump, you MUST run a hardened pump shaft. The stocker will twist like a pretzel.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 12:13 AM   #10
Technick
Registered Member

It is always a good idea to run a chrome moly oil pump drive shaft, even in stock applications, the stock peice is just good enough for stock only. Like I said before, if your engine is set up with the right clearances there is NO need for a H.V. pump. We run a stock pump on a 8,000 rpm stroked smallblock making over 750 H.P. Have over $10,000. in this engine and would not ever run a H.V. pump in it. As long as you have 10psi for every 1,000 rpm you are spinning it you will have no problems, provided pan capacity ect is good enough. So at 8,000rpm you should have at least 80 psi of pressure, 30 psi at an idle is just fine. Now if the engine is just a mail order re-man, or is a back yard slap it together to get it running engine , then I would most certianly would use a H.V. pump because I would not be certian of how everything is set up, kind of a cheap band aid at that point.